Broody hen in the only used nesting box?

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
This is mainly for the knowledge but I also am considering trying to resolve some issues within my brothers coop even though I have no responsibility or reason to do so. I don't believe they really care anymore. I'm pretty sure my sister in law rarely checks the coop and leaves it to their two older kids. While I dont suspect my nephew who is the oldest is the type to lie I suspect my oldest niece is just being a lazy butthead and lying. I won't get into why I say that. Onto what I'm wondering.

They have 5 hens and 1 rooster. Along with 2 ducks. The ducks havnt started laying yet as far as I know. I doubt they'd use the nesting box because of how short they are (their sitting on the ground).

Anyways 2 nesting boxes for 5 hens. And I once in a great while get curious and check to see if theres eggs and nearly everytime theres usually eggs however their always in the 1 box in the back left. At one time I did discover a egg in the back left right next to the hole for them to get out to the run. Whether it was kicked around or laid there for a reason I have no idea but it does not seem to me that the hens are using the second box.

And today to confirm a childs lie I discovered what I believe a broody hen. She was sitting quietly in the nesting box they always use. I even knelt down and was petting her and she wasn't doing anything. I tried lifting her up but was barely able to do so. I did happen to catch a glimpse of what I think was two light colored eggs. I'm worried that because shes sitting on the nest theres a chance the hens will look else where. Originally there was a changing table changed into nesting boxes in the run before the shed was put together. I'm worried theyll try using that instead of the second box.

Would it be wiser to move the broody hen to the second box or to place either a spare egg or a fake egg in that second box to convince them to lay there instead? I don't know whether they want to allow the hen to try hatching eggs. I mean its still winter here but its unlikely theyll do much to break her from it.

Honestly don't know if this is the right place for this but since it involves a broody hen I figured its kinda related?

Properly dealing with a broody hen takes a little more work than normal chicken chores. If more chicks are not wanted the hen needs caged with an open wire bottom. If chicks are wanted, the eggs to be set need marked and other eggs need removed daily. The other hens will continue to lay in the nest. Another option is to see if you can move the hen and the eggs. To do this she needs to be in a place she can't get back to the original nest. I use a dog kennel inside my coop. If either cage method is used the hen of course would need fed and watered. I let my broodies out each day to care for their needs.

Back
Top Bottom