Calling all Gluten Free Bakers

Do you mix your own flour, or buy a specific brand? I've been using Namaste flour for my bread, and like it best of the (very) few I've tried. So far, all I've made with it is the bread machine bread.

I would really like to find a GF pizza dough recipe for a bread machine. It's not that I don't want to make dough by hand, it's just that I know I'll do it more often with the machine. My husband and I loved making pizza with homemade dough before I had to go GF, and that's the reason I wanted to find a bread machine that also had a GF cycle.

Unfortunately, the one I got (Hamilton Beach, $65) that said it had a GF cycle, but it doesn't. After the dough rises, the machine kneads it again, knocking it all down into a brick. My work around is to use the dough cycle, then the bake cycle. Sigh.

So what do you like to bake?

I got rid of my bread machine a few years ago. Even before we were gluten free I never like how mine baked bread so I only used it to mix and rise dough. I simply use my stand mixer now.
So far the only pizza dough we have used much is Bob's red mill mix. My husband found an interesting recipe the other night for a "dough" using chickpea flour but we haven't tried it yet.
I usually mix my own flours, my DH is convinced the xanthan gum bothers him so I try to avoid it :/
There is one mix Simple Truth at Kroger/Fred Meyer that I do like.
We have been using a lot of buckwheat and almond flour lately, and recently found glutinous rice flour locally which is a great addition.
I mostly make quick breads like biscuits, cornbread, banana bread etc and cookies.

Farmhouse Seed Bread—GF

This is my main recipe, it is best after it is a few days old. It is very high fiber and healthier than some breads, but not quite as tasty. Good sandwich bread.

(I'm going off memory here, so apologies if instructions are unclear)
1080 grams flour
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
1575 g warm water
3 Tbsp yeast
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 c oil
3/4 c psyllium husk
1/2 c unground chia

Mix flour and salt. I use a kitchenaid mixer so the flour and salt go in the mixing bowl.

In another bowl, put yeast and sugar in water, stir, and add oil.

Grind the chia seeds and mix with psyllium husk in separate bowl. Add psyllium/chia mix to oil, yeast, and sugar. Stir.

It will be lumpy at this point, and as one kiddo succinctly put it, looks like ogre boogers. Add to flour/salt and mix on "2" with dough hook till combined.

Let rise, punch down, and put in greased loaf pans. (I think it makes around 3-4 loaves) Let rise in warm oven for a bit and cook at 350 for 60-70 min or until it looks done.
Hi. I am celiac and make almost everything homemade. I have found a flour mix that I really like that includes the starch and xanthan gum. You have to order it because they don't sell it in stores. I don't make pizza crust because I found premade that I really like. I have lots of recipes and am willing to share.

Mike's Banana Pumpkin Bread (GF)
1 c Almond Butter
1.5 Bananas
1 c Walnuts (optional)
1 c Pecans (optional)
4 Eggs
1 ts cinnamon (heaping)
1 ts pumpkin spice (heaping)
1 ts molasses
1 ts vanilla
1 ts baking soda (heaping)
1 Tbs butter
2 pinches of pink himalayan salt
1 can of pumpkin (optional, but I like it)
2 chopped figs (optional, but I like!)

Mix and pour into 9"x5" bread pan that is lined with parchment paper.
Top with add'l pecans and walnuts.
Bake at 350 for approximately 55-60 minutes in convection oven until a table knife comes out clean.
Remove parchment paper and set on rack to cool before refrigerating.
Enjoy with a cup of organic coffee!

Nice to see a little revival here. For the last year plus I have been baking all our bread. Such a joy to have good bread again! Oh and dinner rolls! Discovered that psyllium husk powder can be used instead of xanthan gum, i think it creates a better texture.

Back
Top Bottom