can some one break down genetics for me

A chicken has 2 sets of genes (diploid), one from its mother, and one from its father. There is an exception for the female chickens, they get their main sex chromosome exclusively from the father. When a chicken passes its genes to its offspring, the genes from its parents are mixed/rearranged into unique sets in the gametes (haploid), except, again, for the main sex chromosome in female eggcell, which would be the same as the one she got from her father. This unaltered sex chromosome would Always end up in her sons, never in her daughters.

So basically any certain trait im looking for would have to come from my rooster like if I were looking for a certain eye color I would have to see if my rooster and the father of my hen to acheive that certain color if im understanding correctly

I was wondering about the genes that determine the type of the saddle area for a pullet? In particular, I'm trying to get rid of the Cochin cushion on my brahmas and obtain a smoother topline.

I was wondering about the genes that determine the type of the saddle area for a pullet? In particular, I'm trying to get rid of the Cochin cushion on my brahmas and obtain a smoother topline.
Hi
frow.gif

They discussed cushions in Bob Blosl's old Heritage Large Fowl thread.
No archived and keyword searchable. I remember asking Bob one time
on that thread how I could tighten up the feathering on a looser feathered
bird. Bob relied that he had success by increasing the egg count of his
hens by 25 eggs a year.
Best Regards,
Karen and the Light Sussex
in western PA, USA

Back
Top Bottom