Chick hatched swollen legs not standing

Pollogal1

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2024
Chick hatched with 2 swollen legs and can’t seem to stand. He hatched more than a day late and needed a little assistance…he was mostly hatched but was turned sideways somehow and one leg slipped out of the shell…so I gently helped by splitting the shell a bit more for him. Good thing too…he would have never gotten out otherwise and was over-ready to hatch. I am sure he would have died. My question is…do I leave the little one in the incubator…sort of scooting around…until it is dry? It’s 7pm and I am thinking he should stay in there for the night…warm and getting dry. I made a chick sling for morning…but thought he may rest and be warmer in the incubator over night?? (I have 2 other chicks that can stay in there with him for company). Otherwise…I won’t really be able to keep a close watchful eye on the little one during the night. Tomorrow…I can keep checking every 15 minutes or so and do the sling most of the day to strengthen his legs. BTW…is the sling the right treatment? Not sure how to help the swelling go down?? Going to give him gro-gel tomorrow too. A bit nervous about what to do for this little one and could use any advice. :-/

be alright in there overnight .. id give him a another day or so and see how much it straightens up on its own, let them get fluffed out first

be alright in there overnight .. id give him a another day or so and see how much it straightens up on its own, let them get fluffed out first
Ok. Sounds right. He has dried out a bit…kind of dragging one leg. Can’t tell about the other leg or if the swelling is any better or not. Is the sling the right thing for him - even with swelling? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom