chicks trying to fly out of my brooder

CharlesnBlue

Chirping
Mar 6, 2024
Northeastern NC
Hello all
still too early to put these little guys out in the coop ?
they have wings and trying to fly out now
would have put them out sooner but for the bleeping cold snap
low of 44 Saturday night
20240410_193648 (1).jpg
early to put these little guys out

Unpopular opinion: If your heat source is sufficient they'll be fine. I have 12 chicks that I got at 2-3 days old (2 batches a week apart) and I never brought them inside. I had lows down to 30 degrees and they've all been fine. They were in coop free of drafts with a heat lamp that had a 150W ceramic heat emitter bulb which was about 10" from the ground. They huddled at night and explored during the day as they were comfortable.

Unpopular opinion: If your heat source is sufficient they'll be fine. I have 12 chicks that I got at 2-3 days old (2 batches a week apart) and I never brought them inside. I had lows down to 30 degrees and they've all been fine. They were in coop free of drafts with a heat lamp that had a 150W ceramic heat emitter bulb which was about 10" from the ground. They huddled at night and explored during the day as they were comfortable.
Yeah that would be fine as well, I just went by the fact that there's a heat plate in the photo which may or may not work well in the 40s. Supposedly you can throw a towel over a heat plate to help keep temperature and trap heat. Or a heating pad with no auto shut off or a heat lamp of some sort as you mentioned is also an option.

Back
Top Bottom