choosing rooster to keep

If I had to keep one of these I'd choose:
LL
, but I think I'd try to find adifferent rooster. Maybe it's just the pictures though, they seem to be holding thier tails too high.

I would kill and eat both cockerels. Neither will help you go in the right direction.

Consider purchasing a standard, and taking some time to become familiar with this breed. Enjoy your birds, and in the mean time, search out a better start.

I would kill and eat both cockerels. Neither will help you go in the right direction.

Consider purchasing a standard, and taking some time to become familiar with
this breed. Enjoy your birds, and in the mean time, search out a better start.
George knows this breed and good advice. Just be glad someone was kind enough
to tell you beforehand and before you wasted hundres of dollars and a couple of years
finding out for yourself. If you ask around there are a number of breeders on BYC who
have males of the quality you need.
Best,
Karen and the Light Sussex

Thank you for the advice. I'm not planning on becoming a breeder, but will probably hatch some replacement hens at some point. That being said I would like to try and keep them as close to pure as I can. I will probably try to find a better male a. The hens and roosters are from the same hatchery, so it would surely be better to add new genes right?

Absolutely agree with George ad Karen. The GREAT thing about Barred Rocks is that they exist in stunning quality. It would literally take you on the better side of two decades to bring these males and comparable females up to even SQ--say nothing of elite SQ. Getting them to elite SQ would take your lifetime. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars of input; trust me, I know. Spend the little bit extra per chick and reap the benefits immediately. Contact Jeremy Woeppl at XW Ranch.

It's awesome that your thinking about selection, give yourself a treat, and start out on the right foot.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom