Color variation versus adult color Silver-Lace Wyandottes

Hellebore

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Kirkland WA
Hello,

I have 5 Silver-Laced Wyandotte chicks that are about 4 days old. Four of them look virtually identical. The 5th one has a very mottled face and is overall much lighter in color than the other 4. She (I hope it is a she!!) also has distinct dark stripes down her back, appearing to be a chick wearing a chipmunk costume.

Does anyone know if her coloration will remain lighter than the others when she grows up or if there is just variation as chicks and they all turn out the same. We only plan to keep 1 of these, as we also got some other breeds, and I don't know whether to choose her or 1 of the darker ones.

Thanks a lot!!

They will grow up with pattern variations that you will be able to tell them apart. I have three and I could follow all along their development which was which, but I did spend alot of time with them. The one that was darkest as a chick turned out to have the most white in her pattern-her entire chest is white with thin black lacing. Don't know if it would turn out that way every time. They also will start to look streaky then that beautiful lacing will emerge. Their combs will be different than each other, too.
This is my Lorelei as a chick and today-ignore her single comb. Hatchery stock, sheesh! They do pop up like that from time to time, though. I also had one that was striped like you describe. She turned out beautiful!
3DaysOldLorelei.jpg

DCP_5008.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I am surprised that the darkest chick turned out the lightest. We are spending time with them. This is the first time I have had chickens since I was a kid and I am pretty thrilled with the experience so far!!

Thanks for the picture as well. Beautiful chickens!! The picture was not there the first time I replied. Not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom