Coturnix pectoralis, stubble quail.

Jason martin

Hatching
Mar 12, 2023
Has anyone on here ever tried breeding Coturnix pectoralis (stubble quail) as a meat bird as opposed to the Japanese Quail. I am aware that the Japanese Quail will probably give better results in all areas so I'm not looking for a reasons why it is better.

I am located in Australia and would like to try some quail as meat birds. Stubble quail are native here so the weather is perfect. I would rather breed a native animal and just something a bit different to what everyone is already working with. Does anyone know whether you can get the breeding rates high enough to make it worthwhile? Likewise does anyone have any experience breeding them and know how long it takes for them to mature.

(I will likely end up also breeding the Japanese Quail, I just thought it would be nice, and good for biodiversity to have some natives in there)

any opinions would be appreciated 👍

thanks

jason

I'm not sure what the laws are like in Australia, but you may want to check to see if they need a permit. Most places require a permit for native species.
Thanks for the reply Nabiki.

In Australia you certainly do need permits for most native species. I just checked, and the stubble quail is on a list of 41 birds you can have without a permit. We have a few different quail species here, some seem to be on the list and others not. Thanks again that's actually something I hadn't thought to check until now.

Back
Top Bottom