Crested duck questions

Carole AM

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Goshen, Indiana
I read somewhere that you shouldn't cross a crested duck with another crested. Something about a bad gene?

I haven't done it YET, but am thinking about it. Is there such a thing as a crested call duck? What other ducks have crests/pouffs? My duck is a black phase blue swede.

Any duck can have a crest. The crest is caused by a skull deformity, and only a small percentage of eggs with crested ducklings make it to hatch. The crested gene is a lethal one (just woke up and have no reference right here) and it is recommended that 2 cresteds not be mated because of the mortality of the young.

From Dave Holderread's book:

Crested: A large, round head crest gives this regal bird its name. Over the years that domestic ducks have been raised, specimens with small tufts have frequently appeared in many countries. These tufted ducks were improved through selective breeding in various parts of the world, including Europe and North America, resulting in the Crested duck as we know it today.

A curious trait of Crested ducks is that the size and shape of the crest still varies a great deal, and up to one-third of all ducklings lack the head adornment. This phenomenon is the result of a lethal gene that causes the premature death of embryos that carry two genes for a crest. The only ducklings that can hatch are those which have only one gene for crest or else have two genes for normal (no crest). Due to this condition, the average hatchability of Crested ducks is approximately 25 percent less than for other medium-sized ducks.

The most common variety is White, but Crested ducks are also bred in Gray (Mallard color), Black, Blue and Buff. Hens lay blue, green, tinted or white eggs.

Crested ducks are fast growing and highly decorative and the ducklings are strong and vigorous. Despite the disadvantage of having lower than normal hatchability, they are still a popular and practical breed.

Probably more than you wanted to know!
tongue.png

If I read that right I think it boils down to yes, you can breed crested to crested but roughly a quarter of the eggs will die and never hatch (those are the embryos that recieved two crested genes).

I am glad some asked that question I have a crested/mallard mix and his mate is a cuyaga (sp),
so if and when they do have babies they will only have a small crested gene? since dad is a mix of a crested.
boy why does this all have to be so confusing LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, I go to that book for every duck question I have -he is the waterfowl expert!
And wow you're lucky, I would love to be able to just see his place sometime -I know the public can't see the breeding birds (bio-security and all that), but I think you can arrange to pick up birds. I'd really like to order some ducklings from Holderread next year but I don't have the room -yet!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom