Crows scaring my chickens, what to do?

ChicadOro

Chirping
May 11, 2022
I have 10 week old chickens that we moved into a coop last week, and let them out into the covered run three days ago. They are still getting used to everything and I know they are still pretty young and inexperienced

That said, today, I have noticed about a half dozen crows keep coming into our yard which butts up against our woods. They are hanging out next to and near the coop and crow loudly, which has scared the girls back into the coop. I'll come out and the crows fly off, and after about 10 minutes, the chickens will again come out into the run. I go back in, the crows come back and start harassing the chickens again. As far as I know, they are just sitting next to it and crowing.

The coop and run are completely covered and there isn't a way the crows can get to the chickens, and I think they're big enough now that they could fend off an attack if they weren't in a covered run, but can someone make suggestions that will keep the crows away so they will come out/stay out in the run during the day?

I have crows galore. I usually raise a batch of new chicks most years. The crows startle the newest chickens, but they quickly understand the crows are no threat.

Your youngsters will get used to the crows. As they lose the instinct as chicks that causes fear of sky predators, they will learn to relax when they see or hear a crow.

I encourage the crows to reside in the immediate area because they are very territorial and drive off hawks, a much larger threat to chickens of all ages.

I encourage the crows to reside in the immediate area because they are very territorial and drive off hawks, a much larger threat to chickens of all ages.
I had settling cages on the landing platforms of my lofts so that the pigeons could get fresh air/exercise when not being flown. They soon learned when the crows were crying, "Hawk, hawk, hawk" and would scurry into the coop. I fed the crows too.

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Thank you all for your encouragement. They still seem concerned when the crows come around, but they aren't hiding out in the coop anymore. I think we'll be fine now!

Back
Top Bottom