Day 18 and I am very nervous!

cmgamble

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
This is the most nerve racking thing ever. This is my first hatch and I hope all works out okay. I started my eggs on March 26th at 7:15 p.m. If I am calculating properly today is Day 18 and I plan to turn this for the last time this evening around 7:15. LOL. I would not be offended if someone wanted to check my math.

Anyway, I got the eggs from my cousin in my hometown of Martinsville, VA. Not sure what kind of chickens they are; because my cousin told me they were "regular" chickens. She did say I may have some silkies. Anway, I am using the HOVA BATOR Circulated Air Picture Window incubator and the temperature has been perfect. I have been candling the eggs and they seem to be developing fine. I have seen some movement. I hope I can get the humidity up high enough. I am going to experiment with that today.

Anyway, I started out with 30 eggs, lost two on the way home to Accokeek, MD. Two were infertile, so I should have 26 chicks. We will see how it goes.

I hope all goes well. I plan to post some pictures later today (of the eggs of course). Wish me luck.

Chad

Last edited:
Hey Chad! I am on day 20. I know what you are going through. I just hatched out 5 chicks a day early. Guess my temps might have been a tad high. Or maybe I counted wrong. I never know if you should count the day you set them as day one or whatever. Anyway, I am using the same incubator as you with the turner. It worked great. Adding water to the second trough marked "T" as well as to the one marked "C" as you have been doing should bring you right up to where you want to be. It does take some time to stabilize after you add water. Remember to add warm water. Keep us posted! And GOOD LUCK!

Hi, cmgamble
hitheresmiley.gif

Welcome to BYC! Just reading everyones hatching stories and the waiting...ohhh, the waiting.... its just nailbiting and nerve racking! Here's me developing an eye twitch...
indifferent0003.gif

LOL!! Keep us posted, and definately post photos when you can!

Back
Top Bottom