Death of duck suddenly?

Jen2864

Chirping
Mar 18, 2024
My 1 yr old white layered female died suddenly! She was fine yesterday...her & her mate Lenny[ he's the pekin..4 yrs old] do free roam..we have a pond..but at 4pm back in the run they go and then lockdown b4 dark in their hut.
At 6am they were in their run..at 730am I opened gate to let them free roam and notice she was sitting like she was laying eggs so I let her be..15 min later she was dead. She did lay 2 eggs since yesterday [ I thought maybe she had a problem laying]...no bites..wounds..no discharge.
Lenny saw her..tried to wake her up..it's very sad..I'm worried and am keeping him in run today to keep eye.
Anyone have any thoughts?
I got her as a ducklings May 2023 from Metzer.

My 1 yr old white layered female died suddenly! She was fine yesterday...her & her mate Lenny[ he's the pekin..4 yrs old] do free roam..we have a pond..but at 4pm back in the run they go and then lockdown b4 dark in their hut.
At 6am they were in their run..at 730am I opened gate to let them free roam and notice she was sitting like she was laying eggs so I let her be..15 min later she was dead. She did lay 2 eggs since yesterday [ I thought maybe she had a problem laying]...no bites..wounds..no discharge.
Lenny saw her..tried to wake her up..it's very sad..I'm worried and am keeping him in run today to keep eye.
Anyone have any thoughts?
I got her as a ducklings May 2023 from Metzer.
Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss! and Poor Lenny :hit so he is alone duck now?
I have heard of sudden death in poultry, with no apparent cause. :hugs:hugs:hugs

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss! and Poor Lenny :hit so he is alone duck now?
I have heard of sudden death in poultry, with no apparent cause. :hugs:hugs:hugs
He is unfortunately a solo duck right now...and clearly in mourning. I have no problem adopting an adult mate for him but want to make sure he is not 'sick' since I don't know what exactly happened to Suzie which is scary.
Thank you for reaching out.

Back
Top Bottom