Difference in Blacks as a result of BBS breeding or Black to Black?

TattooedMama

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2014
California
Hoping someone can clear up a question about genetics for me. I had read somewhere on a post of someone selling poultry remark that the blacks they were offering for sale were extras or fillers in the box. They said they were unaware if they were blacks from a BBS breeding or if they were a result from a black on black breeding. Is there a difference? I was under the impression that the blacks from a BBS breeding were in fact pure black. Thanks for any help on clarifying this.

Thank you.
smile.png

The blacks that result from blue breeding are indeed black. However they may lack some of the genes that enhance the color that are present in pure black lines. I'm sure one of the genetics gurus on here can give you more details.

The problem with it is that some of the blues are so dark that they look black. You just don't know until you do a pile of test breedings to a splash. So theoretically some of those dark ones from the BBS pens can be either. I've found that in comparison, the blacks from a BBS pen tend to have more of a sooty undercolor, lack of depth in overall color, and often a purple sheen. The true blacks with the Extended black base are deep down jet black with that green sheen.

Black from Blue varieties lack the depth of color. If a person worked with it only breeding black to black from a blue variety they could get that full color luster but it's better to start with a black variety stock if black birds are your preference. I have an andalusian blue variety and the black birds range from dull matte black to very nice sheen with green and purple shimmer but it's still not comparable to standard bred black varieties.

The real deal with blue variety of any breed is that the blue color is what is accepted at poultry shows not the splash or black resulting colors of andalusion blue. The other colors are used in breeding blue but not worked on. With a black variety like Australorp you have and always had the extended black color only with not just body type but depth and sheen of color being bred forward to a standard of perfection.

I have two black Orpington pullets from a blue breeding (roughly 12 weeks) and they are very dark black with a beautiful green/purple sheen on their feathers. I also have 3 little ones hatched July 6th that are pure black. I was curious as to the possible differences since black is used as a base color for the multiple color varieties in Orpingtons. You must breed back to black to keep Lavender & Chocolate colors rich, etc. I am new to this and was curious if the blacks as a result of a blue breeding would be worthy of putting under my chocolate rooster.

Back
Top Bottom