Do Jumbo Coturnix quails always die after 2 years of age?

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
What is the real lifespan of Jumbo Coturnix quails that are raised as egg layers and as pets in a clean and predator proof environment? Is it always exactly 2 years? That is a pretty short life lifespan.

They can live longer but most people only keep the layers for about 2 years, laying an egg everyday through 2 years wears them biologicaly down fast. So, it's not necessarily the life span but their productive live span that the 2 years is being referred too!

Most people that raise Cot's, raise them either for eggs or for meat....either one have a short life span by most standards, as compared to 'New World' quail. Wild 'new world' quail also have a horrific life span. Those kept in captivity can have life spans of 8 to 10 years.

Will my coturnix quails automatically die at 2 years even though I take good care of them daily? I just feel as though that their short lifespans make it a bummer but they’re easy to acquire and tame like this one below. It took me only a week to tame her.

IMG_5972.jpeg

Will my coturnix quails automatically die at 2 years even though I take good care of them daily? I just feel as though that their short lifespans make it a bummer but they’re easy to acquire and tame like this one below. It took me only a week to tame her.

View attachment 3661545
No, of course not. Like any animal, they can vary in lifespan. They could die sooner, they could live up to five years. Two years is about average.

View attachment 3661545
Why do you have that green tape on it?

Back
Top Bottom