dominiques

I have read that Dominiques have an excellent reputation for broody hens and good mothers. Supposedly America's first breed of poultry, have good feed to egg conversion and are good at foraging, but tend to return to the coop to lay and roost. They are cold-weather hardy and lay brown eggs.
It had been my intention to have a Dominique in my flock, but that didn't happen....yet!

i have 3 in my flock i have had them for about 3 yrs now . they have never went broody but are very calm birds.
they follow me around the yard. i would recommend them

Growing up, on my grandfathers farm we had about 15 dominikers. i loved them and hope to get a couple today. I found that there was a few hens in the flock that frequently went broody and made excelent mothers, wile others could never be bothered. I guess it depends what breeding stock you get them from?
hmm.png
They were the most self sufficant chickens i've ever known. There fantastic freerangers, very cold hardy, and real can be real funny characters. I dont think you'll be disapointed.
wink.png

My dom's are the sweetest, calmest darlings but not broody. Now the buff orp is a whole different story--sat on the nest for 2 months last time (with nothing to hatch)

Back
Top Bottom