Duck egg candling ? Help?!

Thats the lines i was thinking along too - breaking the broodyness and going for an adult companion. She has searched the country and found some 'just about to hatch' ducklings so she is going to try giving her duckie some babies tomorrow or the next day, i have forewarned her about the risks of mother duck rejecting the babies and not actually wanting to be a mother, so we will see how she goes 🤞 ill post an update when i get updated 😅😆

My adult duck looked at the babies as terrible little annoyances. She was afraid (?) Or disturbed (?) by their clatter and fast movement.

In hindsight the BOY duckling was "charging" my girl. I thought he was 'racing towards a mommy duck' but as a grown up he does that a lot to "attack" everything. He charges like a tiny bull with his head down as though he has horns. (He has nothing with which to attack poor dear.... But he is defending the girl)

Maybe if she can check to make sure they are female babies she will have better luck.
I saw a YouTube from Metzer farms on sexing day old ducks. (They can't be checked as easily after 3 days according to the video)

My girl ducklings are gentler. Maybe that would help (?)

My adult duck looked at the babies as terrible little annoyances. She was afraid (?) Or disturbed (?) by their clatter and fast movement.

In hindsight the BOY duckling was "charging" my girl. I thought he was 'racing towards a mommy duck' but as a grown up he does that a lot to "attack" everything. He charges like a tiny bull with his head down as though he has horns. (He has nothing with which to attack poor dear.... But he is defending the girl)

Maybe if she can check to make sure they are female babies she will have better luck.
I saw a YouTube from Metzer farms on sexing day old ducks. (They can't be checked as easily after 3 days according to the video)

My girl ducklings are gentler. Maybe that would help (?)
Haha they can be so funny and so full of personality cant they! 🤗 ive tried many times to sex day old ducks, day old chicks, day old geese...... i cant do it 😂 or at least i never end up being right 🤣 ive watched almost every available video on day old sexing and still it eludes me haha i usually come to this forum of experts to help me work out the sex of chicks while theyare young! But its alot easier to tell when they get their boy feathers and voices 😆 alot of the people around our area that sell chicks and ducklings also dont know how to sex them so they are always sold unsexed unless they are old enough to tell 🤪 so again unfortunately i dont think she has any chance of checking for female ducklings 😅

I have never been brave enough to try... but I have a duck sitting 7 eggs, so I am going to have to gather my courage in about a week... I will need to know what I am looking at with 9 ducks in one yard.

here is the video:

I watched the video all the way through and I think it might be true... he pulls the sides down (like pulling down the hoodie on an uncircumcised human man) and the penis pops out. A chicken will be more difficult because there is nothing to pop out (or am I wrong about men again ? :rolleyes: )

make sure you see the little white board drawing he does before he checks on the bums, it is important info.

he also has tips if the breed is one he says the ducklings have different colors at hatching.

Back
Top Bottom