EYP do I have to kill my chicken?

Sarah2020

Songster
Dec 26, 2020
Where I live, there is no access to veterinarians that can care for chickens. Are there any home remedies for dealing with egg yolk peritonitis (EYP) or do we have to cull her?

None, I'm aware of. Even vets can't do anything in most cases.
I’m sorry, but it's for the best to put her down as she declines.
It can usually prevented but it's hard to cure.
How do you prevent? I’m also curious how I can confirm that’s what’s wrong with her.

Are you sure it is EYP?

If you do have to cull her, it will be sad, but at least you can rest assured it is the right thing to do.
I am not sure but it’s the only thing that makes sense to me given her symptoms. This all started when I found what looked like an internal organ in the henhouse. It was a gelatinous mass about half the size of a golf ball. It was grayish with red blood. Then I went to account for all the chickens and one was hiding under the bushes, clearly not feeling well. This chicken hasn’t laid an egg in 6 to 8 months. She is three years old and otherwise healthy.

I am not sure but it’s the only thing that makes sense to me given her symptoms. This all started when I found what looked like an internal organ in the henhouse. It was a gelatinous mass about half the size of a golf ball. It was grayish with red blood. Then I went to account for all the chickens and one was hiding under the bushes, clearly not feeling well. This chicken hasn’t laid an egg in 6 to 8 months. She is three years old and otherwise healthy.
Sounds like a lash egg, which indicates a reproductive infection. It can be treated with antibiotics though shell likely never lay again.
Eyp has different symptoms. As long as she's acting normal, I wouldn't worry about putting her down

Sounds like a lash egg, which indicates a reproductive infection. It can be treated with antibiotics though shell likely never lay again.
Eyp has different symptoms. As long as she's acting normal, I wouldn't worry about putting her down
She isn’t acting normal. She was until the day I found that gelatinous blob. From that point forward she’s been lethargic and not eating but drinking a lot.

She isn’t acting normal. She was until the day I found that gelatinous blob. From that point forward she’s been lethargic and not eating but drinking a lot.
You said she was otherwise healthy, but not feeling well.
It could be a follicle.
She likely has a reproductive infection, you can try antibiotics but usually by the time you see the symptoms, it's too late.
You can order fish mox online, it's just amoxacillian, a broug spectrum antibiotic. but I'm not sure what the dosage is for this.

Back
Top Bottom