Feeding Wild Birds

I ran out of BOSS and Nyjer seed about 2 weeks ago and my feeders ended up running empty. I finally went out and got more yesterday and 4 suet cakes and put my hummingbird feeder out for the season. I'm still waiting on them all to realize that the banquet is back out there. DH saw a pileated woodpecker out front the other day. I'm really hoping he finds my feeders. I'd love to see one out there! They seem to be doing good this year. I've seen at least 3 flying around random places this spring so far. Before last year, I'd never seen one at all!

DH saw a pileated woodpecker out front the other day. I'm really hoping he finds my feeders. I'd love to see one out there! They seem to be doing good this year. I've seen at least 3 flying around random places this spring so far. Before last year, I'd never seen one at all!
Because of all the dead trees (and resultant insects) from Hurricanes Sandy and Ida and the emerald ash borer, pileated woodpeckers have become quite common around here. I see them daily. Love their call.

Another result of the dead/downed trees is the opening of the understory to more sunlight. Nature hates a vacuum so multiflora, wine berry and even some autumn olive are regrowing. The deer have been browsing on them all spring.

Back
Top Bottom