Female or male guinea fowl as indoor pet?

I couldn’t imagine the poop everywhere in the house…. Add to them flying someplace for a perch and knocking things over in the process.
Conyers are nice inside birds with personality not unlike a parrot. Even though they are smaller they can still live to be quite old. Don’t quote me on this but 20 to 30 years maybe? Unfortunately I didn’t even spell the name right but you get the idea

I couldn’t imagine the poop everywhere in the house…. Add to them flying someplace for a perch and knocking things over in the process.
Conyers are nice inside birds with personality not unlike a parrot. Even though they are smaller they can still live to be quite old. Don’t quote me on this but 20 to 30 years maybe? Unfortunately I didn’t even spell the name right but you get the idea
Conurs. I only know bc that's what I begged for and he brings hoe guineas.....:lau

Conures. I had one and had to rehome him because he was so noisy. LOUD. He sat on my shoulder and screamed. Especially when I was on the phone. Members of the parrot family are also flock birds. Many of them develop behaviors related to stress and anxiety, such as feather picking, which i believe are caused by being raised in solitude. It's unnatural. And yes, guineas are very loud. I had a small flock of those once, too. Never again. They never shut up. And they ate all the horses' sweet feed (grain), too, the little thieves! 🤣

I've been known to hold, cuddle,and rock in the chair w/them. Kept a few in overnight when injured in a dog crate. I also have a thing abt washing my guineas feet often. But to live permanently?
First and foremost- They have little to no control over the sphincter when it comes to defecating. I've had one that never pooped on me(A rare bird, indeed). But I would never let one freely roam inside my house. Mb if I was a crazy hermit living on my own, but I have grans and there's nasty stuff in that poop.
2nd- they have no inhibitions about walking or pecking in said poop.
3rd- The CDC & USDA have warnings abt not having poultry/water/gamebirds inside, including chicks/keets, etc. -and many ignore it while they're in the brooder.
As for when you should start training- I'm the odd duck in here who handles them from birth and as often as I can. I want them to see me, know me, trust me & come to me. I acknowledge that they are wild animals, but they still count on me to take care of them.
I'm not chastising you; I've seen videos of ppl's chickens in the house and it doesn't seem to phase them that they put out a video for the world to see of a chicken pooping on their kitchen floor and then walking in it. So mb this person really does let their goon have free reign. I wouldn't sit down if visiting..and watch where you step.
But R2 is right, they are a flock bird, and when separated from the flock,they call out for them NONE STOP. Imagine having a female screaming come back!comeback! or a male screeching eyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeye! While you're trying to sleep.
Mb a parrot or conur or quail?
9 months later..I've ow had a female living inside for 6 months.:gig

1 Neighbor was a problem when I "inherited" my Guineas!
Believe me, it doesn't get better 🙏🏼😭 After 6 yrs, my Guineas FINALLY trained( because they want to make me happy, not due to anything I did, but talk to them a lot- but that's just the personality of these particular birds!) them to come to be couped nightly, and the affection of 3 neighbors who didn't mind them in yard!! After 6 yrs, only have 1 male left, and he only now free ranges my backyard & my back neighbors. But we have City guidelines for Guinea coup, ownership, etc.
Plus I have paid over $150 plant damages, plus many wine bottles to one neighbor NOT down with Guineas in hood.
They're basically undomesticated & free ranging, loud.
Maybe not the ideal pet for you under present conditions?
I say that with much love and respect, but realistically, not easy esp with hostile neighbors.
Chickens easier to raise bcs not as driven to free range !
Best of luck to you!💙

Back
Top Bottom