I never started a thread there. I was there when she hatched and she came out of the egg as she is. I was hoping it was swelling but honestly at this point, it really do suspect it is a birth defect. There is no apparent redness, no signs of infection at all. Just one unusually large eye. The chick can open and close it normally and appears to even see out of it. I treated for two weeks with Terramycin but it did nothing to help or hurt. Idk what else to do but wait and see how it looks as she grows and hope another chicken or chick doesn’t peck it.
Interesting. I don't think I've seen a picture with its big eye open. Yes, waiting to see what develops seems the only thing you can do, and any steps to protect the chick while young and getting integrated. That's what I'd do.

And we have a run! We'll work on apron/predator proofing it but the girls can play when we're home to watch them. Ash was the first through of course. :)
View attachment 3814300
View attachment 3814301
View attachment 3814302
View attachment 3814303View attachment 3814304
Is that chain link fencing covering it? That will be good against raccoons.

Have you given much thought to snow loads? I think that the chan link fencing plus a foot of the snow we both get will be too much for those frames. You may have to remove the top cover for the winter.

It’s one is the big concerns I have for covering my run which is 16’ wide. I will need rather large beams to support a cover for that span. At this point I am not sure what I will do, the expense of the beams is too great for me. I will likely end up just putting some cheap temporary netting up. And take it down in the Autumn.

Back
Top Bottom