Free 10-wk FBC Maran Rooster

GardenGirlBrown

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2023
Hello friends. I bought some new hens that arrived in late February. I only bought females, but one (French Black Copper Maran) has turned out to be rooster. I know it can be hard to properly sex baby chicks. Hatcheries don't always get it right.

We can't have roosters in PG County residential zones, so I have to rehome him. He is such a good rooster, though. I feel like I can't separate him from all his hens. He also has begun to practice crowing, so I have to move fast.

I have some questions and am open to suggestions.

1)Is it fair to ask that he does not end up in a pot? I am **not** against eating meat, but the little fella has heart and seemingly a great pedigree. He's already shown himself to be a responsible, kind, brave rooster--standing up to the older hens to protect his girls. I genuinely believe he's going to be a great asset once he matures. (Of course, I'd understand if he becomes violent/menacing and ends up in the pot.)

2)Does it cause abnormally high stress to separate a young rooster from his flock and rehome him alone? Or is it better to rehome him as a package with two of his hens?

3)Besides this forum, where can I find somebody who would be interested in adding a young rooster to their flock? He was hatched on February 26 and is 10 weeks old as of May 6. I am happy to deliver up to an hour away and am located in zipcode 20737.

Thank for your help!

Try posting in your state thread.
I certainly think there’s nothing wrong with asking that he not go in the pot (I did the same thing when I rehomed my boy), but understand the new owners can do as they wish with him.

Back
Top Bottom