Fresh Chicken Bone broth Questions

MandaRae

For the love of 🐓Chickens & Sunflowers 🌻
5 Years
Jan 3, 2019
Pitt County, North Carolina
I wasn't 100% sure where I should put this question if it should be in the butchering section or the recipe section. But I am processing a rooster and I want to make bone broth from it do I still have to let it rest or because it's just the bones and a little bit of meat and neck can I put it right in the pot to simmer.
Or do I still let it rest for 24 hours.
Thanks!!

You can cook his bones as soon as you like.

The usual reason to let a chicken rest is so the meat is less tough.

But that won't matter for bones wtih no meat.
And long, slow cooking generally makes meat tender anyway, so the little bits should be fine too.

Resting also does not matter for any meat you intend to chop into small pieces (whether you chop it before cooking or after cooking.) This goes for chopped chicken meat in chicken salad, and ground chicken meat in sausage, and so forth.

You can cook his bones as soon as you like.

The usual reason to let a chicken rest is so the meat is less tough.

But that won't matter for bones wtih no meat.
And long, slow cooking generally makes meat tender anyway, so the little bits should be fine too.

Resting also does not matter for any meat you intend to chop into small pieces (whether you chop it before cooking or after cooking.) This goes for chopped chicken meat in chicken salad, and ground chicken meat in sausage, and so forth.
Thank you very much! I didn't think it would matter but thisnis my first time!! I appreciate the quick response!!

I may be too late for this time, but next time, consider roasting the bones in a 400 degree oven until golden brown before making the broth. The roasting gives the broth a nice amber color and more intense flavor.

Back
Top Bottom