Funny hatch--is this normal??

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
OKay, I need some advice. I have one fertile egg out of 3 that made it to day 20 (today). It started cracking late last night-no pipping/noise. Today I came ot check on it when I got home form work and there has been changes-but nothing I expected. The egg has broken open and exposed a thin layer of something underneath it. It looks like a white membrane, very thin and it is semi transparent. It actually looks like there is a baby chick through it. It is a blue egg so the membrane looks quite white up against it. Any ideas?? Is this normal???? Have any of you seen this sort of hatch --and on day 20????

And to think, I almost "disposed" of this egg early thinking it was not fertile since I couldnt see anything it in due to its color. I kept it on the air pocket progression and a hunch......

Well, it should be normal, or else my eggs are weird!

Mine just pipped and hatched this morning and today. I think I migth have a third chick coming... both had the little white membrane, at one point the chick had pulled it towards itself and we could see little yellow clumps of wet fluff :3

The funny thing is, the membrane is not even slightly broken, so it looks like another egg underneath. I hope it is not a bad sign because I am getting my hopes up again:/

No, that doesn't seem to be bad. Remember, it's only day twenty, and the chick doesn't always peck through the membrane everywhere. It was half see-through for Chick number one, and I missed chick Two's hatch-school :thun

Back
Top Bottom