fuzzi's Chicken Journal

:confused:
So, do I let Rahab have a chance to brood with the incubator eggs? That would be two hens with two sets of chicks, assuming they hatch...
I'd say it depends on your risk tolerance. I personally wouldn't give expensive breeding project eggs to an unproven broody, but I might with one I know and trust. So much less work all around, plus the hen gets to live out her natural instincts and hone her skills! ❤️

:confused:
So, do I let Rahab have a chance to brood with the incubator eggs? That would be two hens with two sets of chicks, assuming they hatch...
Yes, let them figure out the roosting thing, chickens are just weird that way. As long as no one is getting beaten up, I leave them to their drama...

You mean, let Rahab have eggs and brood them. Tamar also has some eggs too? So you'd have 2 broody hens with chicks in the same coop/run at the same time correct?

You can try it. I'd be prepped and ready to set up some separation areas if necessary. Like you did for Martha, where she was sectioned off for the first week or so.

You mean, let Rahab have eggs and brood them. Tamar also has some eggs too? So you'd have 2 broody hens with chicks in the same coop/run at the same time correct?

You can try it. I'd be prepped and ready to set up some separation areas if necessary. Like you did for Martha, where she was sectioned off for the first week or so.
Thanks, that's what I meant. I've read other posts here about two broodies at the same time causing issues. If Rahab is serious about sitting I'd just as soon put the incubator eggs under her. It's stopped turning the eggs automatically, and now only does half a turn when I press the button. :rolleyes:

I'll wait until Friday. If Rahab is still serious then I will candle and move the incubator eggs under her. She's pressed herself all the way in the back of a nesting box, didn't realize she was there at first. Different technique. Martha was in the middle of the box, and Tamar is brooding in the wheelbarrow.

Three hens have stopped laying.

No more eggs for breakfast... ;)

Any chance you will keep LC, even if he is a boy? Runts always manage to win me to their fan club :love
LC will stay as long as possible, as long as things work out well. Yes, he has made a spot in my heart.

Last night I was standing in the dark of the coop, holding him on my chest, stroking and comforting him after Hannah pecked him, he was that terrified...probably had flashbacks. Poor thing. Hope he doesn't grow up to be a jerk like his daddy.

Back
Top Bottom