Ginea keets dying

65noreca

Hatching
Mar 18, 2023
Bought gineas.. chicks..and ducklings from TSC...omg lost like 6 so far split between chics and keets. Ducks so far fine.
Other littles got extremely lethargic, or died. I saved a couple feeding mashed food by hand and home made electrolyte with different mixes of sugar..water..sometimes. baking soda OR vinegar as other articles said to do.
The babies that died seemed very frail like a box of toothpicks and tsc said they were losing many as well. I use the tsc waterer with the red flip over bottom. And have them in a big tote in front of a heater so they can back away and regulate their own comfort as they like. I watch them VERY VERY close but still losing. 1 to 2 a day. Theres about 4 ducks..4 keets..and 10 chicks all in same tote. Bottom has hay not sawdust.. My guess is :
1. Breeder is a cheapskate not feeding them right and selling them too soon
2. They are getting too wet and getting hypothermia.
3. They are bunching up too tight suffocating or ..sweating thus causing hypothermia
4. Too frail or diseased bitties from cheap lousy breeder
5. Strong possibility kids at Tsc are feeding them wrong

I am brooding near identical as tsc does and who admits they have a much bigger problem. Im using chick starter barely one week so far but per BYC need to watch the protein..niacin..medication so Ill get a mix figured out after much research since opinion varies widely.

They are fair enough to replace all bitties at TSC so far but its embarassing and distressing to see them die.
P.s. the chicks are a mix of rhode island reds...leghorns.. black barred.. 4 keets ( now 2 )
Reds no problem..All I know us to keep getting refunds till I find a solution. Thx for help in advance.

Bought guineas.. chicks..and ducklings from TSC...omg lost like 6 so far split between chicks and keets. Ducks so far fine.
Other littles got extremely lethargic, or died. I saved a couple feeding mashed food by hand and home made electrolyte with different mixes of sugar..water..sometimes. baking soda OR vinegar as other articles said to do.
The babies that died seemed very frail like a box of toothpicks and tsc said they were losing many as well. I use the tsc waterer with the red flip over bottom. And have them in a big tote in front of a heater so they can back away and regulate their own comfort as they like. I watch them VERY VERY close but still losing. 1 to 2 a day. There's about 4 ducks..4 keets..and 10 chicks all in same tote. Bottom has hay not sawdust.. My guess is :
3. They are bunching up too tight suffocating or ..sweating thus causing hypothermia

I am brooding near identical as tsc does and who admits they have a much bigger problem. Im using chick starter barely one week so far but per BYC need to watch the protein..niacin..medication so Ill get a mix figured out after much research since opinion varies widely.

They are fair enough to replace all bitties at TSC so far but its embarassing and distressing to see them die.
P.s. the chicks are a mix of rhode island reds...leghorns.. black barred.. 4 keets ( now 2 )
Reds no problem..All I know us to keep getting refunds till I find a solution. Thx for help in advance.
Do not brood waterfowl with keets or chicks. The keets in particular need a dry environment which cannot happen if brooded with waterfowl.

The keets need a high protein game bird or turkey starter.

I do not recommend brooding keets and chicks together due to the problems that can arise later on. If you insist on brooding keets and chicks together, give them both the high protein starter the keets need. It will not hurt the chicks.

Do not give them baking soda or vinegar.

Check the temperature in the brooder at the bedding level. I start my keets, chicks or poults at 90°F measured at the bedding level.

Make sure that you are not giving them cold water. Warm, not hot water is what they need.

Bought gineas.. chicks..and ducklings from TSC...omg lost like 6 so far split between chics and keets. Ducks so far fine.
The babies that died seemed very frail like a box of toothpicks and tsc said they were losing many as well. I use the tsc waterer with the red flip over bottom. And have them in a big tote in front of a heater so they can back away and regulate their own comfort as they like. I watch them VERY VERY close but still losing. 1 to 2 a day. Theres about 4 ducks..4 keets..and 10 chicks all in same tote. Bottom has hay not sawdust.. My guess is :

Is the starter produced by Purina? I purchase all my feed at TSC and make it is not produced by PurIna.

Is the starter produced by Purina? I purchase all my feed at TSC and make sure it is not produced by PurIna.

Back
Top Bottom