Growing my little flock

Pics
On a lighter note...Miss Chungus continues to improve and loooooooves those really expensive and really stinky cans of moist bugs. Nice red comb, happy sounds, doing really well on her first day off of meds.

(Side note: there are no shavings in there because I have had to keep an eagle eye on her poo through this process and it gets cleaned up fast; the crud that is in there is from her destroying a treat block)

I think I'm too nervous to try stripeys again...with my luck I'd manage to get another batch of oops-all-barred-rocks!
I got my Dominiques from Cackle, am pleased with their temperament.

THIS is laid back:
IMG_20240507_145907869~2.jpg
Tamar is sitting on six eggs, is as noisy, assertive as a broody can be. But she's allowed two chicks to rest nearby.

IMG_20240506_210927019~2.jpg

And Lydia is being adopted as a pseudo mom when Martha can't fit all the chicks under her anymore. Lydia was cool with it.

I got my Dominiques from Cackle, am pleased with their temperament.

THIS is laid back:
View attachment 3824610Tamar is sitting on six eggs, is as noisy, assertive as a broody can be. But she's allowed two chicks to rest nearby.

View attachment 3824613
And Lydia is being adopted as a pseudo mom when Martha can't fit all the chicks under her anymore. Lydia was cool with it.
That is certainly the temperament I’m looking for…how big are they? My Vanilla Bean boy is about 8lbs and still growing slowly so I’m expecting he might reach 9. He’d flatten my smaller hens. He’s super wide and his feet are also massive compared to my other roos (he leaves tracks the same size as the wild turkeys here).

That is certainly the temperament I’m looking for…how big are they? My Vanilla Bean boy is about 8lbs and still growing slowly so I’m expecting he might reach 9. He’d flatten my smaller hens. He’s super wide and his feet are also massive compared to my other roos (he leaves tracks the same size as the wild turkeys here).
Dominiques come in standard as well, mine are bantams.

Here's the standard information:

1000042105.png

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/dominique-chicken/

Great writing! I am really enjoying following your journey to growing your flock. I don’t have any roosters, only because we’re not allowed to in the city. Someday I would love to have a bachelor flock though. Until then, I’ll have to just follow along and live vicariously through you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom