Guinea Questions

Country Gal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Capac, MI
My dad stopped by to see my "farm" last night and was prompt in sending me e-mails this morning about how I'll probably have problems with fox and "other chicken loving varmits" and that I should get some guineas.

Since my chickens are already in their coop and chicken run at this point, and are about 7 weeks old, I'm thinking that I don't want to get baby guineas? I should probably look for some that are a little older? Or will that be a problem in training them where their borders are?

Also, will the guineas attack my dogs? Or will they learn to accept them as part of the property?

Any tips, thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated...

I really want guineas for tick control, but my hubby has 47,692 reasons NOT to get them
sad.png
. Mostly because they are noisy (although I've heard that some are quieter).

I'm sure the experts will chime in here, but just wanted to let you know that younger is actually better in most cases with guineas. They are very attached to their 'home base' and it can be difficult to retrain them where that is. If it isn't done correctly, the first time you let them out they will head right back to where they came from. It can be done, just takes lots of time and patience.

Can't wait to see what others reply!

-Meghan

Hi there, I'm no expert but I had some guineas for less than a year
roll.png

They were about three months old & I kept them cooped up for about two weeks.They were easy to go back in the coop.They free ranged with the chickens.
I have a couple of medium size dogs, they didn't bother them much at all until mating season started. My poor dog Rex who will tear a possum apart was scared of them. Then when I had a broody chicken raise some chics, all of the guineas were mean to the babies.
On top of all of that..KA-CHANK,KA-CHANK,KA-CHANK,KA-CHANK,KA-CHANK,KA-CHANK... most of the day... I don't have any neighbors close by but, geesh they were noisy!!!
I ended up giving them away, I wish I could have kept them it was just a little much for me.
Miriam

Thanks for the tips!

I assume they will eat flies as well? I'm getting a lot of them by the pig pen and need something to take care of that as well...

We love our guineas!! We have 3 right now, did have 5 until a school bus attacked during mating season (ours liked to do "the chase" up and down our road for some reason). They are noisy, but we have come to love their "songs". It seems we are the odd ones in this situation. They will let you know when a "new" anything is on the property. And ours have chased off hawks, cats and snakes! They are bug eating machines, they don't like a lot of grains (some yes) or plants. They only squawk at our dog and cats, I assume that's because they are used to them. We've never had problems with our guineas and our baby chicks, they may chase off some of the chickens sometimes, but so do others chickens.
We acquired our guineas when they were 2 years old and only cooped them up for 3 days and they have never run away, they coop up with our chickens or on top of the goat door (just because they are nosy and can't stand to miss a thing!). I have heard of them running away though. Maybe you can find some fresh out of the brooder (2-3 months old)? That would be ideal. Livestock auction barns are good places for this age. We are huge guinea pusher we have loved having them around for the past 4 years. And we are planning on acquiring a couple more soon!
Amy J.

I found a couple ads in the paper advertising guineas so I made some calls. There is a local hatchery that has both baby and adult guineas. The lady said that the adults were between 8 and 11 months old.

I may go ahead and chat it up with my fiance tonight and try to add them to the farm... I'd hate for something to get at my chickens...

Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom