Hard night..

Bex

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2008
Virginia
Tonight we lost a very important family member.. Our 6 & 1/2 month old European Starling named Kenya.. Briar (my fiance) and I raised him from the time he was just a pink blob.. Only a few days old.. We found him on our front porch and his mom wouldn't take him back. So we took in this featherless cold baby and raised him.. Feeding every hour.. keeping him warm.. cooing over him.. learning everything we could about Starlings..He imprinted.. and is like our child..

He had just started to copy sounds (though he sang a lot of his own tunes).. and I was one of the first for him to mimic.. He was mimicking the whistle that I use to call our dogs.. and I think he had even started to say "ow" the way Briar does a lot.. Though I couldn't be sure if that one time it was my imagination or kenya..

I'd like to show some pictures...

The first day.. I thought he was kind of ugly..and I was afraid I was going to hurt him.. But then he grew on me.
wink.png

BABYSTARLING.jpg

Just a few days old..
babybirdapril28.jpg

Beg beg beg for food..
babybirdapril282008.jpg

Nice hair do, bub.
Kenya512008.jpg

The first time he went into a cage instead of his "nest box"
Kenyamay7.jpg

His first bath at 18 days old..
firstbath2.jpg

DSC05396.jpg

DSC05378.jpg

I would of posted in "other pets".. but this guy is our family.. he's like mine and my SO's baby.. I already miss him so badly.. I just really wish I knew what happened to him.. Why he had to die.... It's so quiet in this bedroom now without his songs..
hit.gif

So sorry to hear about your starling...it's always hard to lose something you love...whether it be animal or human . Just remember that you gave him a chance at life that he might not have had .
hugs.gif

Very very sorry for your loss. You gave him the best he could have had.

He got many more days of life than he would have had without you.

There is probably some nutrient he woulda got from his mama that neither you nor science could provide.

Love is never wasted.
hugs.gif

Hunny I am so sorry for your loss. But what a wonder you and your SO got in the time the three of you had. That doesn't help now but later you will be really happy you had as long as you did, because your life sure was a lot richer with him in it.

And you lost a child doesn't matter if it was a feathered child, you lost a child. You posted in the right place.

Back
Top Bottom