Hatchery Questions ??

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
Can you tell me your favorite hatcheries to by baby chicks from?? We are brand new to chickens and want to order them from the best place. THANK YOU for your help!!
big_smile.png

We ordered our chicks from Sun Ray Chick Hatchery. We ordered 25 Ameracana and Easter Eggers and they shipped us 30. We lost 3, and now have 27 healthy chickies.
big_smile.png
Their prices are very nice (much lower than I'd seen) and they are very nice on the phone and helpful with any questions you might have. They are family owned and operated, not a large commercial hatchery...which I really liked. They also went above and beyond in my eyes, by checking to see what the weather in our area would be like before shipping to ensure that they protected the box for the chicks trip.

Steff.....I would look locally. The closer you are to them, the less stress there is for the babies. However....I got mine from Murray McMurray....they were great to deal with, and all arrived safely. Good luck. Let us know what you get...and pics pics pics!!

We did a personal visit to a local hatchery called "Cackle Hatchery" in Lebanon, MO.
They have a website if you would like to look them up online.

When we arrived, I was shocked to find the hatchery actually located in a downtown store building! I was expecting a barn or something! LOL!!!
But everything was clean and nice and professional. The lady at the desk was SUPER nice and helpful. Let us take our time... since this was our first time buying chicks as well. She offered us favorite recommendations... but there was 1 particular bird I DEFINITELY wanted!!!!

We ended up with:

27 chickens (although we ordered 25)

Buff Orpingtons
Road Island Reds
White Plymouth Rock

and 3 ducks (all they had of my particular breed at the time)

Fawn Indian runners.... although I think one is an accidental Peking. Hmmmm....

They are all 4 weeks old now, and are VERY healthy. We haven't had 1 cassualty so far. *keeps fingers crossed*

They were great on the trip home as well. I let the ducks crawl inside my coat, where they held still and laid down. FUNNY and TOO cute!!!

I just love them all!!!!

All in all, I think Cackle Hatchery was great and I will be buying from them again!

Cricket

Last edited:
Hi, we, too, went to cacklehatchery.com but we visited them in person. I was like a kid in a candy shop! We purchased twenty chicks and they are now going on five weeks old and never lost a one. I hear they ship them safely but I can't verify that from personal experience. I agree, the closer the hatchery the better off you will be. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom