Help!! Can I do anything more?

I just want to say that I think this is a really good response to the situation- granted she shouldn't have done what she did without permission/help, but I'm sure she didn't mean any harm by it. I think taking the time to show her how to properly incubate and learn about it all is an excellent lesson for her, and an experience she'll be able to reflect on. I imagine it would show her she doesnt need to hide projects like this, and that she can recieve help with it. I think thats really awesome parenting!
I like doing stuff with them. Especially at 14, if she wants to do something together,, I need to take advantage of it

So if this one okay, the one that died kind of hatched this way, like I couldn’t see his beak?
So sorry no one has responded yet! I just found your thread myself. Since no one knows exactly when the eggs were put in, nor what effect a week without heat might have had, it's impossible to tell when they are supposed to hatch. I can only suggest a couple of things:
1. If it has externally pipped, and goes 24 hours without any progress, then it's time to assist the hatch. Don't jump in too soon - Often they'll pip, chirp and rest over several hours or a full day before making the final push to zip.
2. You can make a "safety hole" in the air-cell end of the egg, to help it breathe and to see what's going on in there.
3. The one that pipped yesterday, but was still when you got home - yes, go ahead and assist the hatch. If it's already dead, then no further harm will be done. Depending on how long ago that partner egg pipped, you might assist that one, too.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Happy you joined. This is probably the best place on the internet for chicken information and is full of very helpful members. Looking forward to seeing your step-daughter's chicks (whether these few, or the next batch) grow! Please keep us posted.

:welcome
this is how the one that died before hatching was? Like I couldn’t see his beak. Should I do anything or let it play out, I hear him chirping!! Help!!

Attachments

• 67D98255-509A-4E36-BEAC-270A03B29626.jpeg
    67D98255-509A-4E36-BEAC-270A03B29626.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 4
So if this one okay, the one that died kind of hatched this way, like I couldn’t see his beak?

this is how the one that died before hatching was? Like I couldn’t see his beak. Should I do anything or let it play out, I hear him chirping!! Help!!
I'd be cautious of doing anything at this point. I get it... it's so hard to be patient and let the chick do all the work!
But I'm confused by the dark colored area (air cell?) in that location on the side of the egg, where your pencil marks are in the typical location. What's going on with that? I'm no expert at all, and I maybe don't understand what I'm seeing here.
@Eggcessive @pipdzipdnreadytogo tagging for expert help!
Also, did you see this guide to assisted hatching?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I'd be cautious of doing anything at this point. I get it... it's so hard to be patient and let the chick do all the work!
But I'm confused by the dark colored area (air cell?) in that location on the side of the egg, where your pencil marks are in the typical location. What's going on with that? I'm no expert at all, and I maybe don't understand what I'm seeing here.
@Eggcessive @pipdzipdnreadytogo tagging for expert help!
Also, did you see this guide to assisted hatching?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
That was lines for the air cell 2 days ago. So I’m hoping it moved further down. 😑

'Draw down' can make the air cell pull down past where you've marked it on the outside of the shell. That occurs right before the internal pip, drawing the air cell down the side of the egg further as the chick presses up into it to break through the internal membrane and take its first breaths. It's not unusual for an external pip to occur below pencil-marked lines for the air cell because of this. The other possible reason for it is malpositioning, though, so you'll want to keep a close eye on this little one for progress.

How long has this egg been externally pipped? If the beak was visible in the pip before, but is not any longer, the chick may simply have moved slightly. I've had chicks start to zip and then stop, and their beaks were no longer visible as a result. They've gone on to hatch just fine on their own after resting a bit longer in my experience, but these are unusual circumstances and if malpositioning is a possibility then it's hard to say what this chick will be able to do on its own. If it's been less than 24 hours since the external pip, I'd just sit back and hope for the best. Assisting can work out, but assisting too soon is generally detrimental and it's best to wait at least 24 hours after the external pip before intervening. Keep us posted! :fl

'Draw down' can make the air cell pull down past where you've marked it on the outside of the shell. That occurs right before the internal pip, drawing the air cell down the side of the egg further as the chick presses up into it to break through the internal membrane and take its first breaths. It's not unusual for an external pip to occur below pencil-marked lines for the air cell because of this. The other possible reason for it is malpositioning, though, so you'll want to keep a close eye on this little one for progress.

How long has this egg been externally pipped? If the beak was visible in the pip before, but is not any longer, the chick may simply have moved slightly. I've had chicks start to zip and then stop, and their beaks were no longer visible as a result. They've gone on to hatch just fine on their own after resting a bit longer in my experience, but these are unusual circumstances and if malpositioning is a possibility then it's hard to say what this chick will be able to do on its own. If it's been less than 24 hours since the external pip, I'd just sit back and hope for the best. Assisting can work out, but assisting too soon is generally detrimental and it's best to wait at least 24 hours after the external pip before intervening. Keep us posted! :fl
Just seeing your post! I took the picture above before going in to work. When I came home, chick had zipped and was pushing his body against the egg to break free. So I walked in just in time to watch him hatch.. ☺️

Just seeing this comment. I posted that picture on the 14th before heading to work. When I came home, walked in and went straight to the incubator. Chick had unzipped and was pushing against the egg to get out. So I got to see the end. Today, 8 days later, chick is thriving. And so is the other I discussed in this post! I’ll post a picture later. We are gonna start our next clutch next week! Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom