Help! Crack at wrong end without pip

I've been giving him water with ACV tiny bit at a time, hadn't seen anything about the vit E helping neuro issues in poultry so I'll definitely start giving the little guy some...what you described is exactly what he's been doing so that gives me a little hope that he has a chance at recovery. You've been a tremendous help to me, very much appreciated!

I've been giving him water with ACV tiny bit at a time, hadn't seen anything about the vit E helping neuro issues in poultry so I'll definitely start giving the little guy some...what you described is exactly what he's been doing so that gives me a little hope that he has a chance at recovery. You've been a tremendous help to me, very much appreciated!
I didn’t know vitamin E deficiency could cause neurological problems until I was researching for my duckling. Vitamin E deficiency causes something called “Crazy chick disease”. You can read about it more on this forum if you search in the search bar. It aggressive many poultry species apparently.

I had already been giving vitamin B daily (important for ducklings), but there was no improvement until I started the vitamin E. I’m sorry I’m not a chicken expert, but you might want to check if your chick also needs selenium. With ducks, selenium deficiency and vitamin E deficiency go hand in hand. Eggs contain selenium so I gave my duckling scrambled egg daily, along with liquid vitamin E.

https://poultrydvm.com/condition/vitamin-e-deficiency-in-chickens

You may not be a chicken expert but everything you've advised thus far has been right on the money....after you mentioned the vit E I started looking that up specifically and found exactly what you were talking about. They need the selenium to absorb the vit E so I'm gonna go out first thing in morning to get some. In the meantime I mixed up some homemade electrolytes for him and hes been accepting. He managed to wiggle out of his little egg and the bowl I had him in but he was actually upright when I found him outside the bowl and not rolling around looking like he had a broken neck so I'm starting to think there may be some hope for the little guy after all. I'm praying there is and that I didn't just prolong his death and cause him to suffer unnecessarily

Just got the notice for this reply for some reason so sorry about the late response.....he didn't make it 😔. He acted like he was gonna make a turnaround, kept trying to push his way out of the egg I put him in so I took him out amd let him run around which he was actually able to do for the 1st time. He was running into things and would fall occasionally and other chicks would peck at him amd after few minutes he wore out and started laying on his back so I put him back in his egg separate from the others and continued giving him the vitamins and electrolyte mix I made for him which he would take well from a dropper but couldn't get him to drink on his own or take food at all. I mixed up some honey, ACV, and garlic solution for the electrolytes and then started giving him the vit E and selenium. Then late last night I went down to give him another dose and feeding and found him gone. He had started to hold his neck better and really thought he might actually pull thru but then he didn't. The other babies that had yolk left unabsorbed and the one I had to assist so much are doing great, you would never know they had any issues at all so I ended up with 5 healthy babies out of the 14 eggs I incubated so I'm pretty disappointed but thankful for the healthy ones and all the help.

I have 23 babies at the moment tho. I has bought some polish & crested and silkies but there was something wrong with all the silkies. They actually had to replace every baby from that batch the folks had bought so I have almost 4 wk old polish & crested (6) and have 6 new baby silkies, 4 Americaunas and 1 blue copper maran babies that I hatched from my own girls, and ended up buying 6 blue bell Eggers when I picked up my replacement silkies. I normally won't buy from the farm stores but couldn't resist when I seen the had the polish and crested and silkies....lol..my husband is ready to disown me 🤣

Back
Top Bottom