UPDATED w/pics - Pls Help - Adult chicken slipped tendon? Leg goes sideways in 2m New Hampshire. Can I fix it?

FunClucks

Crowing
Apr 8, 2022
North Alabama
UPDATE: Added Pictures. Pls help!

I have a New Hampshire from Freedom Ranger Hatchery, optimized for meat (dual purpose), male, hatched March 10th. Been feeding 23% meatbird food until about a week or two ago when I switched to 20% all flock. Today I noticed he had a leg going out to the side. Like, literally the side like the hock joint has slipped out of place. I have to break the legs there when processing, so I tried to see if I could slip it back into place based on what I know the joint looks like, but I"m a little shaky on the tendons and where they might be at, so when it wouldn't go with gentle pressure in the direction I thought it should, I didn't force it. Didn't want to hurt him further.

Is there a way to reset this leg and put the tendons back where they should be? The bird is walking around like it doesn't hurt, but it's got to be horrible for it. I can isolate and splint it if I get it back where it should go. The bird is not yet big enough for processing, it needs a few more months really if we can get him healed. Plus when I commit to raising them to processing age, I want the bird to get to live to processing age. Doesn't seem fair when their already short time gets cut even shorter. It's half the size of a same-age CX.

Is there an Article or a couple threads where this has been answered someone could link for me?

Never had this issue with CX.

Attachments

• IMG_6872.jpg
    IMG_6872.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6873.jpg
    IMG_6873.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6878.jpg
    IMG_6878.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
In case anyone ever reads this thread and wonders, I processed this chicken, and it ended up being a birth defect. The hock joint was functioning properly, the tendons were going over the correct locations and the knobs of the bones fit together properly, but just below where the two bones connect, the shank of the leg bone took a 30 degree turn towards the outside of the chicken. The left leg hock joint was thicker than the right leg by about 30%. It was the strangest thing. The chicken probably wasn't in pain like I thought, but who knows. Wouldn't want to breed from this chicken, so I was going to need to process it eventually. Wish it could have lived a few more months.

All the chicks looked to be moving fine and healthy when I would inspect them until I saw this, so it seems to have gotten worse over time as the chicken grew. Now I'll have to keep an eye out to see if this shows up in any other chickens, now that I know it's in the population.

Also, the Freedom Ranger Hatchery New Hampshires (dual purpose optimized for meat) had significant and pronounced wing claws. Wondering if NH are supposed to have those. I thought CX were the only ones that had pronounced wing claws, and am now wondering about what is in these NH. Food for thought...

Back
Top Bottom