Help woth homemade chicken feed recipe.

I have read that feed should be less than 15% oats, as more can cause diarrhea. I found some helpful websites (and you can too with a google search) that lists specific percentages of each ingredient as well as a list of ingredients and their corresponding percentage of protein so you can adjust your recipes to what you have on hand or that is available to you. I also purchased a nutritial balancer that takes much of the guesswork out of the equation.
Would you mind sharing the sites you found? I'm interested in learning.

Commercial feeds usually contain yeast. Brewers and nutritional yeast is good for them. I feed it to my flock (primarily because I have ducks who need the niacin) as a top dressing on both their dry feed as well as their fermented feed.
In fact, brewer's yeast is the added B vitamins. No other source is equivalent (for B vitamins). The cheapest way to supplement vitamins (B,C and K), is by feeding them fermented feed. This is just my opinion but, in this day and age, it would be best to shift your flock over time to hardy, adaptable breeds which may lay less but will also make it with inferior diets.

In fact, brewer's yeast is the added B vitamins. No other source is equivalent (for B vitamins). The cheapest way to supplement vitamins (B,C and K), is by feeding them fermented feed. This is just my opinion but, in this day and age, it would be best to shift your flock over time to hardy, adaptable breeds which may lay less but will also make it with inferior diets.
That's not for me. I like the challenge. But for others, I'm sure that's not a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom