Hen diagnosed with cancer

The vet did not give her x rays or blood work because of the price, we said we should just take her home like regular. They have Hydro Hen probiotics + vitamins in their water. They also sometimes gets vegetables like kale or broccoli and sometimes treats like a little bit of blueberries.

I also noticed her crop has gone down, but she only poops once while she sleeps.
I wish I had answers on what to do :( I empathize with you so so much!!! It’s so hard to watch and sooo hard to know what to do or not do. I’m trying to figure this all out myself too…

In the past I’ve had my vet recommend both DMG (for immune health) and an Amino B Complex (for anemia) and a probiotic when they were having various issues so I’ve kept those supplements in my arsenal as I felt like they helped at that time and when I’ve inquired with my vet if I should keep giving them to my flock he has said it wouldn’t hurt. I went the longest time without any issues while they were all on them but now with one of my own hens having a cancer diagnosis I honestly don’t know if there is anything that I’ve done that has helped the situation, hurt the situation or has had zero effect and the cancer would be inevitable anyways… 😔

Maybe someone that has more experience will chime in for you.

Sending you a big hug XOXO

Went to the vet today. She felt the inside of her vent and automatically knew she had ovarian cancer. The walls of her insides were bumpy and full of lumps. She couldn’t feel any specifically egg like material and there was no fluid still.

I’m heartbroken. She is my most friendly and calm hen and was always affectionate. But i’m accepting what is happening and trying to move onwards.

She received a hormone implant to stop any potential egg formation.

Does anyone have any stories about something like this, and any tips on how I can give her a good rest of her life.
Today she dustbathed, which I took as a good sign. However she hasn’t been pooping much and when she had it was just white urates. She doesn’t seem too lethargic, however she has been laying sort of on her side when she sits.

Her crop empties.

She doesn’t eat as much of her feed, just in the mornings. but still eats treats. She eats wet food when I offer her.

I have found a few orange feathers around, so that means she is molting a tiny bit.

Is this a reliable avian vet? I got an incorrect diagnosis for my hen almost 2 weeks ago. I hate to give false hope, but I would check that. I honestly thought mine was a goner, but she just had vent gleet. Wishing you luck with this painfull time, the best thing to do is remember you are the sad one. She just feels a bit like you do after you vomit and surrender to being sick. A kind of relief.
It helped me when I thought mine was going to die.

Is this a reliable avian vet? I got an incorrect diagnosis for my hen almost 2 weeks ago. I hate to give false hope, but I would check that. I honestly thought mine was a goner, but she just had vent gleet. Wishing you luck with this painfull time, the best thing to do is remember you are the sad one. She just feels a bit like you do after you vomit and surrender to being sick. A kind of relief.
It helped me when I thought mine was going to die.
The vet specializes in chickens rabbits and parrots, but she DID say that she’s “pretty” sure she has cancer. I didn’t do an X ray to confirm. I asked the vet about her potential scaly leg mites, and she just said she didn’t think she had them.

I’m terrified there’s something completely treatable going on!!!! Alas, her bumblefoot is gone, and I slather her legs with vaseline every week.

How did you treat for vent gleet?

The vet specializes in chickens rabbits and parrots, but she DID say that she’s “pretty” sure she has cancer. I didn’t do an X ray to confirm. I asked the vet about her potential scaly leg mites, and she just said she didn’t think she had them.

I’m terrified there’s something completely treatable going on!!!! Alas, her bumblefoot is gone, and I slather her legs with vaseline every week.

How did you treat for vent gleet?
I would get a tissue sample if you have the money. (Edited to explane it could be a benign tumor) To treat for vent gleet you give an epsom salt bath every 48 hours, and every 12 hours put antifungal cream (the kind for athletes foot) on her vent. (I mean ON her vent. Some can get inside, that is good.) (Yes, it does suck to put antifungal cream on a chickens but.)

Back
Top Bottom