Hen or Roo?

macmac955

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
These are my two guinea keets. They’re about 6 weeks old and I’m wondering if they’re both little hens. I got them from my aunt so I’m not sure.
FD820653-1CCD-4C08-B6C8-1283AF43434C.jpeg
3C86EA6B-7960-4CD3-9A80-DD09E88E2935.jpeg

At 6 weeks old the only way to know if they are hens is if they make a 2 syllable sound
like 'goback, goback,goback.' 6 weeks is about the earliest that you will hear it. A male cannot make this sound. And by the way a male guinea is called a cock not a rooster. :old

At 6 weeks old the only way to know if they are hens is if they make a 2 syllable sound
like 'goback, goback,goback.' 6 weeks is about the earliest that you will hear it. A male cannot make this sound. And by the way a male guinea is called a cock not a rooster. :old
Thanks! I’m a little uneducated on Guinea fowl terminology 😅

when it comes to Guinea there is such a minuscule physical difference that its still hard to look and tell. you can however listen to the sounds. the male makes a sound thats like " ki ki ki ki" while the female sounds like shes saying "buckwheat buckwheat" do know that the female can also make the male call as well

when it comes to Guinea there is such a minuscule physical difference that its still hard to look and tell. you can however listen to the sounds. the male makes a sound thats like " ki ki ki ki" while the female sounds like shes saying "buckwheat buckwheat" do know that the female can also make the male call as well
The hen can also make any sounds the male can make.

Back
Top Bottom