High Tunnel Plus Electric Poultry Netting

DaisyNoelle

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2023
Eastern Massachusetts
Hi all,

I'm planning a new fenced garden this summer as well as a chicken run. I think I've settled on a shed plus a hoop-style run for the chickens, basing the run on the cattle panel design I found on this forum in order to keep all the predators out.

I'm wondering now about using a high tunnel for the garden, and putting an electric fence around it to keep out the pests, something maybe like poultry netting. My thought is to make the spacing so that deer don't have a landing spot between the tunnel and the electric, while the electric, plus some buried hardware cloth, keeps out all the other pests. One option would be to make the high tunnel from cattle panels, like the chicken run, and another is to build or buy a standard metal pole high tunnel instead.

I know that there will be a price difference and I'm confident in doing calculations to find that. But I'm wondering if the tunnel + electric idea itself would be effective given that I've got a herd of deer that graze where the garden is not to mention all the groundhogs, rabbits, mice, and everything else that lives in the woods just behind the house! What do you think? The electric netting by itself isn't high enough, but close enough to the tunnel I'm thinking the combination might be effective. I'm not sure if the electric netting plus buried hardware cloth is enough to keep all the climbing, hopping, and crawling critters.

And if you have any thoughts about the cattle panel high tunnel vs the standard metal pole high tunnel I'd love to hear them too!

A double fence as an alternative to height works when the spacing is right. Or so many reputable sources say. I tried it and they jumped in at the corner. Having both fences go all the way to the outer fence line might solve that. I didn't try to fix it; it was easier to keep all the plants inside one fence that was high enough. Mine is eight feet high - 5' of 2"x4" garden fence with two or three strands of deer tape above.

I don't know much about the other questions.

Back
Top Bottom