bought my first horse yesterday!
He’s a late teen welsh pony mix named August (Auggie for short)
IMG_4388.jpeg
Congratulations! He's a beauty, and looks so kind.

@HollowOfWisps Holy Toledo, how gorgeous! How old and how tall was he when you bought him, compared to today? What breed?
His sire is a Friesian and his dam is a blue roan Percheron. He was 10 months when I bought him so just 12 months now. I was told in the 14 hand range when I bought him. I measured him a couple of days ago and he was exactly 15 hands. He weighed in right around 900lbs when he was at the vet getting gelded so he is definitely going to be a big boy! My vet thinks that I should do eventing with him😂 The guy I bought him off of sells most of his foals to Disney or Hollywood which I thought was pretty cool. I originally called to ask if I could come see what he had that wasn’t listed for sale and scooped up Drago and Ronin (his half sister).

Last edited:
He is doing quite well. It’s been rainy lately, so Dad hasn't let me ride him yet.
I was busy last night with FFA stuff, but today I might try to see if I can right him.
I saw his old owner (I’m boarding him where he has been) yesterday at the FFA thing and I asked how he was.
Look how tiny he is compared to Boon (shire)
IMG_9218.jpeg

He is doing quite well. It’s been rainy lately, so Dad hasn't let me ride him yet.
I was busy last night with FFA stuff, but today I might try to see if I can right him.
I saw his old owner (I’m boarding him where he has been) yesterday at the FFA thing and I asked how he was.
Look how tiny he is compared to Boon (shire) View attachment 3831825
There is a size difference there! Let us know how your ride goes! Do you ride English or Western?

Good for you, you obviously have a talent in the horse industry, so you should continue to pursue what you love and find the right trainers to help you develop your horse talents into a life's work.
I'm sure you often hear things from different people like, "OMG, majoring in Humanities disciplines like English, is useless and a waste of time, because it DoEsn'T Lead to A Big MonEY CaReEr!"
Oh my gosh, yes! It is incredibly hard to navigate things now, especially since often my degree of choice is seen like that, or so many expect me just to be a teacher/get back into school, go for a masters, or do something like that. Unfortunately a big area of argument that has arisen between my parents and I is that they just don't see the horse industry as a valid career choice. I mean, I get it that it sure doesn't make a ton of money necessarily and is risky health-wise lol, but I totally agree that even those "cushy, safe" office jobs aren't always reliable. Nowadays with AI chatbots, things have definitely shifted in my chosen field as well. I'm sorry to hear about your partner, too, that's so tough to lose a job.
I bet you are great at giving lessons! It's some peoples' calling, but even those who would rather train horse kids than human kids, both sides are needed for the students, and even more learning for the teacher.
Aw thank you! It definitely took me a while to fall into a rhythm and nail down my specific teaching style, but I do enjoy it. I'm not really a people person, though, I'm much more quiet and introverted so I think my desire to mostly focus on the horses than the people is where that comes from. But yes! It is definitely a must to know how to teach people and learn important things from dealing with students of all skill levels.

Of course, follow the rules as told to you, BUT:
Do you ever happen to run into the caretaker or owner by chance when your boss/instructor's not around? If so, be polite but ask more specifics about the rules. It never hurts to get to know them, engage in conversation about horses.
I have talked a little bit with the manager and other people there when my boss isn't around, I guess I'm just sometimes too chicken to try asking lol. One girl (one of our boarders) actually approached the guy who manages the track and he gave her permission to ride on it that day, so I figure there'll be a chance I can get on it too! I've talked to him a few times or we just wave in passing to each other, I guess I just need to stick my neck out there and ask.

As I'm getting more settled there, I've been meeting more people and talking with them sometimes. There are some pretty cool people at this farm with lots of knowledge, it's just as I said -- I'm not a people person, so sometimes I don't go out of my way for a conversation. :oops:
good plan, just make sure you always behave as the horse person you always have been. And never forget this, even if currently they don't know you, they're lucky to have you in their barn.
Aw thank you! That's really great advice, and I think I can see it applied in many ways as I look to make my own path within the horse industry. As I want to be a trainer, yet have a ton of respect for other trainers I have learned from, it's been tricky but a lot of fun to figure out my own style and preferences in training (with both people and horses!).

Does anyone else prefer handling untouched horses over “well trained” disasters? lol I had to halter break my yearlings the first week and then after it has been short “training” sessions if you can even call it that (10-20minutes max) on getting used to daily handling, grooming, picking up feet, leading, not stepping into my space etc. When I take their halters off to turn them back out they just follow me around until I leave. On the other hand the pony that I was told was “well trained” was very obviously allowed to get away with just about everything. So I started him at the basics too, but as soon as he is turned out he is like “goodbye mean lady who makes me listen and keeps me in my place” and wants nothing to do with me for the next hour at least😂

Does anyone else prefer handling untouched horses over “well trained” disasters? lol I had to halter break my yearlings the first week and then after it has been short “training” sessions if you can even call it that (10-20minutes max) on getting used to daily handling, grooming, picking up feet, leading, not stepping into my space etc. When I take their halters off to turn them back out they just follow me around until I leave. On the other hand the pony that I was told was “well trained” was very obviously allowed to get away with just about everything. So I started him at the basics too, but as soon as he is turned out he is like “goodbye mean lady who makes me listen and keeps me in my place” and wants nothing to do with me for the next hour at least😂
I’m not really around horses anymore but also theoretically would love untrained horses as well lol that’s why I love the idea of mustangs lol

Back
Top Bottom