How do i know that my Broody hen is taking care of herself?

akyramoto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Northern CA
It's Yellow Butt's first time trying to be 'mom'. How do i Know she's taking care of herself?

I've been giving her some food in the nest & dropping water on her beak almost daily as a precaution to the 'what if she's not taking care of herself'

Is there any way to tell? Her wattle is slightly droopy ( but still very red in color) does that have any indication on hydration?

I tried separating her, but she gets off the nest & when i put her back with the others she immediately goes broody again. so i decided to let her sit, then I'll seperate them when the chicks hatch ( if they hatch!).

Is there any tips to make sure she makes it through this period? This is OUR first time! I understand that her needs probably will do down a bit since she's not as active.

Any tips would be appreciated!!

Thank you!!
big_smile.png

I too have a first time broody hen. Though I separated her from the rest of the flock. I had two trying to sit on the same nest and the bantam was always pecking her (the buff orphington) in the head to get her off the nest. Now her comb looks terrible. And I feel so bad about not doing it sooner. I give her special treats every night. Either hard boiled eggs, or some of the grain that the cow and goat gets. I just put it right in front of her and she growls a little and then eats. But if I put the water right next to her she just growls. But the water is very close to her anyway. And I think her comb is looking a little better, but it is still pretty pale. Good luck with yours, when are they due?

Just had a broody hen hatch out 16 chicks. I had no idea she was even broody, she isolated herself in a far away buck pen and I didn't even know she was missing. Then we spot her on day 20 bolt up to the coop for some food and water, and bolt back to her clutch, I'm guessing she went all 20 days without anything or just what she could find in the grass. No idea about water. But she was fine. She's eating well now that her chicks are hatched and they spend most of the day foraging. They do survive...somehow! HTH!

Back
Top Bottom