How frequently to stir broilers

Broilersforever

Hatching
Feb 22, 2023
We’ve been told and read that “frequent stirring” is essential to raising a successful broiler for show. How frequently is needed - and duration? I can’t seem to find specific answers. Also - how to stir chickens when the family is gone all day (school/work)?

my daughter's FFA ag leaders told us that. I have read that online as well. We are raising them to show for livestock show.

We’ve been told and read that “frequent stirring” is essential to raising a successful broiler for show. How frequently is needed - and duration? I can’t seem to find specific answers. Also - how to stir chickens when the family is gone all day (school/work)?
What does "stirring" mean when raising broilers for show?

Walking or around the pen or stimulating the chickens to move
If the pen is big enough for you to walk into, some of this will happen automatically when you are checking and filling the feed and water, and adding or changing bedding.

As long as they move calmly (not frantic running or piling/huddling), I don't think extra times would do any harm. So doing it more when you can, and less on other days, might be the best choice given the situation you have.

Depending on who in the family has what schedule, I would say one or more times in the morning (before work/school), and one or more times in the afternoon/evening (after work/school.) Maybe an extra time or two on weekends if someone's schedule permits.

Back
Top Bottom