How hot should a heat plate be?

Birdpants

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
San Francisco CA
I’m confused about heat plates. I’ve read the proper temp for wee babies is about 95 degrees. I’ve also read that heat plates heat to about 125. I’ve also read chicks need to touch their backs to the plates.

Wouldn’t 125 be way, way too hot?

I was trying to make a MHP but realized it’s too big for my brooder and the heat plate I bought last year (and failed to return in time) is exactly the right size, but I’m worried it will burn the chicks (I’ve heard of them overheating). Mine is definitely over 105 after 45 minutes plugged in right now.

Wondering if I could strap a reptile heating pad (which is waterproof and also has an adjustable thermostat) to the bottom of the unplugged plate and use that for heat instead?

I’m confused about heat plates. I’ve read the proper temp for wee babies is about 95 degrees. I’ve also read that heat plates heat to about 125. I’ve also read chicks need to touch their backs to the plates.

I was trying to make a MHP but realized it’s too big for my brooder and the heat plate I bought last year (and failed to return in time) is exactly the right size, but I’m worried it will burn the chicks (I’ve heard of them overheating). Mine is definitely over 105 after 45 minutes plugged in right now.

Wondering if I could strap a reptile heating pad (which is waterproof and also has an adjustable thermostat) to the bottom of the unplugged plate and use that for heat instead?
do you have a picture of your brooder with the MHP in there?

I don't know about heat plates but I am sure others do here that can help. Good luck deciding.

This is a pic of my brooder

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_195415886.jpg
    IMG_20210406_195415886.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 39

The chicks do not need to touch their backs to it. In fact, it's best they don't.
I keep the rear legs one notch lower than the front legs to vary the height and let them choose where they want to be under it.
I would put it in.

I just purchased a heating plate and also a thermostat control to go with it. I too keep the back legs lower than the front giving them room to move around depending on their preference. My chicks are currently 1 week old and I have the thermostat on 80%. The chicks are perfectly happy with this setting. I couldn't tell you how hot it actually is but they are content so that's all that matters. I'm very happy with this addition to my brooder. Good luck.

I just purchased a heating plate and also a thermostat control to go with it. I too keep the back legs lower than the front giving them room to move around depending on their preference. My chicks are currently 1 week old and I have the thermostat on 80%. The chicks are perfectly happy with this setting. I couldn't tell you how hot it actually is but they are content so that's all that matters. I'm very happy with this addition to my brooder. Good luck.
Ooohh I could buy a thermostat! So helpful, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom