How to worm a flock of chickens

healthnut

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2022
I think my chickens have worms. I have several hens that seem to be gasping for breath and breathing with their beak open. They seem lethargic. I went to the feed store to get some kind of worm medication, and they gave me a bottle of pills. No way can I get a pill into every chicken. Is there a better way to worm chickens? I'm not sure what type of worms they have. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Is it hot and they're panting?
Have you seen and worms in the poop or ran a fecal exam?
What type of pills did you get? What's the name?
You can pull down on their wattles and pop a pill into their beaks but most people use paste wormers.
Don't treat them unless you're sure of the worms.

I will take a closer look at the poop tomorrow. They are panting and gasping for air when it's not hot, and it's just a couple of my older hens, not the whole flock. They're also very lethargic, and tail feathers drooping.

I will take a closer look at the poop tomorrow. They are panting and gasping for air when it's not hot, and it's just a couple of my older hens, not the whole flock. They're also very lethargic, and tail feathers drooping.
It sounds like they just hot. Do they have deep shade, maybe some damp dirt baths?

I don't know about how to tell if they have worms or not, so will not comment on that other then could you get a vet or someone tell test their poop?
But pills are very easy to give to chickens, I wish I could get a wormer in pill form.
Just go out after dark when they are sleeping, and take them off the roost. Set them on your lap, or tuck them under your arm, and pull down on the wattles and their beak will open.
You can then just push the pill in, and they will swallow it.

I don't know about how to tell if they have worms or not, so will not comment on that other then could you get a vet or someone tell test their poop?
But pills are very easy to give to chickens, I wish I could get a wormer in pill form.
Just go out after dark when they are sleeping, and take them off the roost. Set them on your lap, or tuck them under your arm, and pull down on the wattles and their beak will open.
You can then just push the pill in, and they will swallow it.
I would be concerned that they would choke on the pills if they are sleeping. I would think there is some type of wormer I can put in the water.

Last edited:
I would be concerned that they would choke on the pills if they are sleeping. I would think there is some type of wormer I can put in the water.
They won't actually be asleep once you are there and picking them up, just calmer then usual.
What country are you located in? I could have a hunt around online and see what I can find if you like?

I think my chickens have worms. I have several hens that seem to be gasping for breath and breathing with their beak open. They seem lethargic. I went to the feed store to get some kind of worm medication, and they gave me a bottle of pills. No way can I get a pill into every chicken. Is there a better way to worm chickens? I'm not sure what type of worms they have. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Can you please post photos of the pills that you were given?

A video of your birds may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

If you can't do video, photos of the birds you are concerned about along with their poop and housing would be good.

You don't have a location in your profile - where are you located and what is your temperature?

Check to make sure the crops are emptying. You mention it's the older hens - when was their last egg?

Back
Top Bottom