I'm Confused how do Hatcheries get Cornish Cross hatchlings?

Jersey Giants get bigger up to 15 lbs and are hardy healthy birds. It's not just a size problem.
15 pounds is really nothing compared to a Broiler Sire Line, they get to be 20+ pounds at the end of their reproductive life, also it takes 3 years for JG to get to 15 pounds, Broiler sire lines will get to that size in no time, how fast they grow is what gives them the health issues, not how large they get

Jersey Giants get bigger up to 15 lbs and are hardy healthy birds. It's not just a size problem.
Yes they are hardy healthy birds but... A CX dressed is at weeks what a giant is at months. I like my giant's but it is hard to be able to afford to feed them.
And no, no size prob for giant's, because they have a big frame, big bones that take time to grow, not fast but slow. Great birds for a heritage breed I like them, but you can't compare them to CX.

White rock hens crossed with Cornish roosters. However I heard that Cornish roosters are really mean so I'm going to try my own experiment: White Rock Rooster crossed with Cornish hens. I won't get as many eggs but I don't need to supply the whole state, lol. I'm banking on this experiment, so I hope it works! ;)
How did this workout for you?

Females are better than the males?
For us they are. They are more compact, so they fit in the crockpot or rotisserie better. They have a lot breast meat, we process ours out around 7 or 8 pounds, that way we have a couple meals worth.
Sometimes we grow them out to 3 months, this last year we were surprised it only took 2 months to get to that size.

They get hatching eggs from specialized breeders of terminal chicks, they themselves(the specialized breeders) get the parent stock from Great Grand Parent Stock corporations(not many listed).

To clarify a few things. The grand parent and parent lines of the terminal cornishx are feed restricted so bad, they suffer from Chronic Hunger and the hens even when starved get too fat to be productive at just 60 weeks of production.

One side of the Grand Parent line(Sire) are absolute monsters bred for size only and are even bigger than the terminal cross, the Dame line of the grand parent line are sex linked Dwarfs their size is reduced about 30% to make the Dame line of the parent line, these Dwarves lay more eggs per cubic meter than standard sized hens, they produce more hatching eggs, eat 30% less and are somewhat healthier but are also feed restricted ad lay to 60 weeks of age.
I know that this is an old quote, and I could be completely misinterpreting it. But why do they continue the crosses when it sounds like the sire grandparents line is a more ideal meal bird? Are they heavier eaters than the end result?

And why not keep the Dame line for egg factories too if they're such great layers? They wouldn't be processed much earlier than the skinny layers are

Back
Top Bottom