International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I never updated but the Barred Rock wasn't broody. The thinking that brought about this was I was busy yesterday and didn't get to collect eggs til late. Went in to grab them at lockdown and there's a hen laying. Go in this morning and she's still there.. now there's a jam up. 3 nest boxes and everyone needs this one. Band check reveals Joannie is my hen that's been in there all day... Thought goes back to the last few days I've been integrating the babies, her and momma been broody clucking... She's in front all puffy 🥴
IMG_20240506_151644.jpg

IMG_20240506_153502.jpg

I'd like to see the English one if you can post it. 👍
image.jpg
The header says Minorca but this is the end of the Marans page. Less specific breakdown but lots of pints for type, I think this is good for a breed like marans, considers them as functional livestock rather than show birds.

I think if the BCM was recognised it would get its own with more points for colour, but 15 points is enough for a distinguish a good cuckoo as there isn’t too great variation between two cuckoo’s colours.

8:30 update... Momma got off the nest. Joannie stayed until a 1/2 hour ago, she came outside and did her routine, Kong tried tagging her in but she puffed up like a turkey, cluck cluck ran away. Watched her go back in the coop, she milled around a bit, driving off all the other hens that got close to the eggs. Finally went in and puffed out covering all 11 that are in there.
Tomorrow I'll have to decide what eggs to put under her on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm super stoked since she didn't go broody last year but she's head hen and my darkest layer, so nothing to worry about with the other hens messing with her. And she was a great momma, her last brood I believe she didn't kick off until they were 8-10 weeks. It was a super long. I'll document it this time. 🙂

IMG_20240506_204905.jpg

Back
Top Bottom