Is this egg fertile?

Alpine Bobwhite

Songster
Feb 10, 2023
Our white bobwhite recently made a nest out in the aviary, under a willow hut thing I made them. She had laid two eggs in it but the rabbits found the nest and started digging in it - they didn't know it was a nest, they just like digging.
The eggs were then buried under some straw and plant matter and the tortoise came along and decided to nestle down in the nest, in doing so he made a slight dent in one of the eggs. I cracked it open wondering if it had the "target" which I was told indicates fertility. There was a small white circle in the yolk and I was wondering if that was it, I had never seen this speck in any of the other eggs we have cracked open.
The white bobwhite supposedly laid it, but it may have been one of the others - I have never seen her being mated and there was no male helping her tend to the nest. The egg could have been laid by the Mexican Speckled female who could have been exploring and found a nice place to lay so she did it in the white one's nest. The Mexican Speckled Female has a mate (a normal bobwhite) so it could be her if the egg is fertile.

IMG_0840.JPG

Back
Top Bottom