Isn't it true when a barred hen and a non-barred rooster breed, the hens will be non-barred, and rooster will have some, or basically all barring?

Thanks! That's good to know!
It works for any breed or mix as long as they aren't barred. But I should add though I don't think it works if the rooster is white
(not sure if it applies to both dominant n recessive or only one of the two)
But I believe for any other color or combination of colors it works. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

What about the other way around? Barred rooster to non barred hen?

Sexlinked crosses work by utilizing sexlinked genes. These are genes that females can only pass to their sons, but males can pass to all of their offspring. The barring gene is the sexlinked gene in this case. With a barred female and non-barred male, because that barred female can only pass barring to her sons, it's only inherited by the male offspring. However, with a barred male and non-barred hen, barring can be inherited by chicks of either sex because he passes the gene on indiscriminately.

(not sure if it applies to both dominant n recessive or only one of the two)

I would say both, though it might work in some cases with recessive white.

It does not work for dominant white because of the dominance of the gene; it's hard to see a white head spot on a white chick, obviously.

It might work for recessive white... but it also might not. Since recessive white can be hiding any plumage color genetics beneath it, there could be genes hiding that would prevent the cross from working, either from lack of visibility or otherwise. An example, it's apparently common for White Plymouth Rocks, a recessive white variety, to be carrying barring, so obviously that would mess up a sexlinked cross if that was your male in the cross and he did carry barring. There's also the off chance that the barred mother carries recessive white, which would give you the same issue as in dominant white in at least part of your chicks with a recessive white male; a white head spot on a white chick.

Other genes can muddy the expression of the head spot, but don't necessarily always ruin the cross. The head spot can be a bit tricky to see on some shades of blue chick down, for example, which is why you hear occasionally about missexed Sapphire Gems despite them being a sexlinked cross. But in many cases, it works fine with blues as well.

Last edited:
What about the other way around? Barred rooster to non barred hen?
Depends if the rooster has one, or two copies of the Barring gene.

If the rooster is pure for barring(Double Barred), 100% of the offspring will be Barred.

If the Rooster is single Barred(One copy), only about 50% of the offspring will be Barred.
25% Barred Males, 25% Barred Females.

25% Solid(Not Barred) Males, & 25% Solid(Not Barred) Females.

Back
Top Bottom