I haven't had a chance to try it yet, been busy with other stuff. I may get around to it tonight. I do have one low waste feeder that's a short plastic container to which I added some 3-D printed ports that I got from someone on Etsy. It seems to work OK, but it was a pain to drill the holes in the plastic container. Given my current setup is mostly Wynola Ranch cages, I can't make anything too tall. However, I do have some over flow birds in pet carriers where I'm using the chick feeders above. I also have a multi floor cage with ramps between the levels that has a bunch of birds in it and I'm using a chick feeder in there as well. Bottom line is that I need to send a bunch of birds to freezer camp, but have been too busy lately to set the time aside.
I would suggest a trough feeder from Wynola ranch website. You can place wire mesh over it. I use 1'' x 1/2'' vinyl coated wire. But you can really do anything at that point to create a barrier. since it attaches to the front of the cage they have to stick their heads out far enough and when they eat and fling it side to side it just moves around the trough.
Pretty sure they do free shipping and a 2 pack is like 20 bucks. I am going off memory.

I have a wynola ranch cage. the 36x18 breeder one and the trough for it works great. out of all my feeders it wastes a lot less than most.

I would suggest a trough feeder from Wynola ranch website. You can place wire mesh over it. I use 1'' x 1/2'' vinyl coated wire. But you can really do anything at that point to create a barrier. since it attaches to the front of the cage they have to stick their heads out far enough and when they eat and fling it side to side it just moves around the trough.
Pretty sure they do free shipping and a 2 pack is like 20 bucks. I am going off memory.

I have a wynola ranch cage. the 36x18 breeder one and the trough for it works great. out of all my feeders it wastes a lot less than most.
I have troughs on the Wynola Ranch cages and don't have too much trouble with them being wasteful. The chick feeders are in some taller cages that I'm currently using for overflow birds. I managed to setup one of the chick feeders with a toilet paper roll as @Nabiki suggested. I used some painter's tape to attach the paper roll to the jar. I can already tell a major improvement in keeping the feed in the feeder.

After just a week using the toilet paper roll with the chick feeder, I can tell a great difference. I have 15 birds in a multilevel cage and have two chick feeders in it. Before, they were emptying both feeders in one day. Now it's taking them two days and they're not even completely emptying both feeders. Thanks @Nabiki for the suggestion. It's gonna save a ton of feed.

Do your quails have access to a dustbath? Do they have a platform where their feet can recover from the metal wire? Are you providing any form of ‘enrichment’?

Do your quails have access to a dustbath? Do they have a platform where their feet can recover from the metal wire? Are you providing any form of ‘enrichment’?
Since making the post I replaced the original wire floor of my outdoor setup with 1"x1/2" vinyl coated 16g wire. My indoor quail are on fluffed pine pellets which they 'dust bathe' in. I haven't been keeping many birds outside because I want to do more alterations /improve it but money has been tight. They have an enclosed area full of grass that they kind of wallow in sometimes I guess. I've been using the hutch more as a bachelor pad for rude roosters than anything though 😂

Back
Top Bottom