Jumbo Coturnix Quail

Huntmaster

Free Ranging
May 2, 2021
North West Ohio
Hello, I am looking into getting into raising quail and was wondering if the Jumbo Coturnix are a good meat bird. Are they the same meat and egg wise as standard quail. Looking to get Jumbo wilds and some assorted Jumbos. Any Advice on Jumbos compared to standards would be Appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

My jumbos lay as well as the standards, the eggs are normally slightly larger than standards as well. My breeder flock is around 6 months old and no size related issues so far. The only thing I would say is keep them on a 17% layer ration from when they are 6-8 weeks old if you are intending to keep them as breeders. Starter feed (normally around 30%) will make them fat and you may then have issues. Hope that helps.

I have Jumbo wilds and English whites in quail. One young bird 5 weeks old, had bumblefoot, But today it's all healed up after cleaning it out. The bird is still swollen and it can't put much weight on the foot. But the hole is fine and gone now all healed over! Now what do I do! The pad is ok looking but the joint where the toes connect is still all puffed up. Any answers or thoughts??

I have Jumbo wilds and English whites in quail. One young bird 5 weeks old, had bumblefoot, But today it's all healed up after cleaning it out. The bird is still swollen and it can't put much weight on the foot. But the hole is fine and gone now all healed over! Now what do I do! The pad is ok looking but the joint where the toes connect is still all puffed up. Any answers or thoughts??
have you done an epsom salt bath? I'd also do oregano durastat water additive

have you done an epsom salt bath? I'd also do oregano durastat water additive
Yes Epsom salt once a day warm water. Soak for 5 to 10 until the bird starts making a big mess! Lol Don't know anything about oregano durastat?? I just hope the bird gets where he/she can walk without a bad limp! Or I have to cut it open! The pad looks fine, it at the joint where the 3 toes connect. That joint, at the bottom of the leg..

Back
Top Bottom