Lethargic Cochin

Ensaino

Hatching
Dec 10, 2023
Hello! I have a Cochin that is lethargic. She is drinking and eating mealworms but does not have much interest in anything else. I have been giving her probiotic and electrolytes with the water she’s been drinking. She has been walking around but not pecking or scratching.

She was broody and was in chicken jail for 2 days, she got out Saturday and seemed fine. While in jail she seemed to eat and drink normally. Our bantam rooster has been trying to breed her over the last week that I’ve noticed.

We did an inspection of her and under her wing looks a little raw and on the other side there may be a puncture would. The picture attached is on her right side and does smell a little funny.

Any thoughts on why she might be lethargic? I just picked up some Valbazen to treat for worms.

The rest of the flock seems to be fine (11 hens one bantam roo) they are all about 1 year old. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this is under her wing and if that might be causing her some discomfort?

I’ll try to get a better picture tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.png
    IMG_0679.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
It could be a spur injury that is getting infected. I would flush it with some Hibiclens/chlorhexidene, Betadine, saline, and then apply some Neosporin twice a day after cleaning it. A syringe or turkey baster is good for flushing, or you can use a spray bottle. If you happen to have any antibiotics, amoxicillin might be good to use for a week to 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom