Lethargic hen

Belovedturkey

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2024
I was putting my birds to bed when I noticed one of my hens was laying in a corner, she had been in one spot all day so I went to check her out because it was getting obvious she was lethargic not resting and did a quick check. Her crop is empty so i don’t think it’s sour or impacted crop, but she seems a little bloated I don’t know if it’s my anxiety or not because if she is it’s a very little bit, and I also noticed that while I was checking her at first when I caught her she squaked and tried to run but after that she just let me handle her which should be normal but she was like flopping around and falling after I let her go. She did the stance where she’s basically a vertical line with her tail down. She is an old chicken so I was wondering if this was her dying of old age or is it something like water belly or a crop issue because I also couldn’t get her to eat. She isn’t like my last water belly chicken, she’s hardly bloated if at all and it’s not the same squishiness so is in not water belly or water belly at a different stage. If any one could help it’d be great, and I got pictures of her comb in case that helps. She’s also been isolating her self for about a week now every night instead of going into the coop like normal she’s been hiding in an old chicken coop and I have to take her out, I never noticed the lethargy before though, and she does have a history of sour crop and a wierd illness where she was lethargic and bloated but recovered, it wasn’t water belly as there was no draining and she healed, and it didn’t grow and that was over two years ago.
IMG_7392.jpeg
IMG_7391.jpeg

I just talked to my mom when we adopted her at least four years ago she was old and not laying so is this just the end of her life or is it an illness, or both

I have separated her so if nothing else she can be isolated like she wanted in a safe place and so I can monitor her. She pooped out some yellow liquid stuff and is standing like this
IMG_7394.jpeg
IMG_7393.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom