LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Walking together definitely sounds like a good idea. Get them both together and work with them to sit, stay, down, etc... using treats. Make it fun for them both to enjoy together. Maybe the interaction with food and walkies will heal the relationship?
Perhaps, I gave them both dried fish treats yesterday, and they politely watched eachother get their treat and took turns. I just wanted to pretty quickly use food with them and not allow any rudeness between them over it-
Didn't want the bad feelings or tension to linger in the air, especially surrounding food and meal times..
I think a walk might help them, make them feel like a team again...

Perhaps, I gave them both dried fish treats yesterday, and they politely watched eachother get their treat and took turns. I just wanted to pretty quickly use food with them and not allow any rudeness between them over it-
Didn't want the bad feelings or tension to linger in the air, especially surrounding food and meal times..
I think a walk might help them, make them feel like a team again...
Sounds like they are feeling better about each other? Dog love to please us, so I would think the more time they spend doing fun things together and with you, might speed up the healing. Hopefully over time they forgive each other.

My dogs are all good now- Sadie is still feeling a little sorry for herself but her cuts all scabbed up and are very hard to see now. Storm keeps being all sweet with her, and trying to make peace but it's still not mutual. Think Sadie needs more time.
Really, it wasn't Storms fault, she had a right to defend her food and Sadie ignored all the warnings, and didn't back down. Still, can't allow any squabble to continue, I step in immediately and break it up. Been years since I had to though.
These girls are usually the best of friends, they've only had one argument before, when Storm was younger.

Any tips on getting Sadie to feel okay around Storm? I was thinking maybe going for a nice long walk together as a pack might set a better vibe for them? Or should I just leave them to figure it out?
It might be best to feed as separate as possible, so no more accidents can happen. Training to leave each other food would be good too

Never leave them to figure it out! Its best to teach them how to disengage from each other and when they need to, a positive interrupter would be helpful so you can redirect who ever is annoying the other away

I walk would be good depending on their personality, one on one time with you away from the other might also help
Walking together definitely sounds like a good idea. Get them both together and work with them to sit, stay, down, etc... using treats. Make it fun for them both to enjoy together. Maybe the interaction with food and walkies will heal the relationship?
Be carful with treats if one dogs resource guarding!

It might be best to feed as separate as possible, so no more accidents can happen. Training to leave each other food would be good too

Never leave them to figure it out! Its best to teach them how to disengage from each other and when they need to, a positive interrupter would be helpful so you can redirect who ever is annoying the other away
I only mean as far as adjusting to eachother, I would never allow them to snap or hurt eachother, even if I thought they could resolve it without risk- it only takes a second for a tooth to sink too deep and cause injury.
I'm just not sure how far I should involve myself in their relationship, or whether I should try and help them sort it out, aka help Sadie to feel safer and move on.

And food times is spaced out, and supervised always, but usually if Sadie goes near Storms bowl, (Storm eats slower) looking for her scraps, Storm will growl and Sadie will back off, or I will see and call Sadie away. Usually Sadie simply doesn't try to go directly for Storms bowl, that was a first. Storm doesn't resource guard much anymore, never with humans, and I think Sadie got too comfortable yesterday and ignored the growl for that reason.
I walk would be good depending on their personality, one on one time with you away from the other might also help

Thankfully they're alright with treats, unless they were to have bones, then they're in separate rooms-
with a little snack, they will both sit and wait for their treat. I always say the name of the dog getting the treat, "Sadie." And make it clear when I give her the treat. Storm will watch, licking her lips, knowing she's next. And vice versa

I only mean as far as adjusting to eachother, I would never allow them to snap or hurt eachother, even if I thought they could resolve it without risk- it only takes a second for a tooth to sink too deep and cause injury.
I'm just not sure how far I should involve myself in their relationship, or whether I should try and help them sort it out, aka help Sadie to feel safer and move on.
I would start intervening earlier, as soon as they show small signs, if they have bitten and broken skin. I normally let them give a small correction but if the other dog keeps doing it repeatedly I will start stepping in sooner, I do not let them near each others high value food at all. Its always better to intervene earlier then later more the one pushes the other the harder it is to fix the relationship

And food times is spaced out, and supervised always, but usually if Sadie goes near Storms bowl, (Storm eats slower) looking for her scraps, Storm will growl and Sadie will back off, or I will see and call Sadie away. Usually Sadie simply doesn't try to go directly for Storms bowl, that was a first. Storm doesn't resource guard much anymore, never with humans, and I think Sadie got too comfortable yesterday and ignored the growl for that reason.
I would definitely start stopping Sadie from doing that after this fight, specially if Storm has a history of resource guarding . Its much easier for them to take steps backwards then forwards with behaviour issues

Thankfully they're alright with treats, unless they were to have bones, then they're in separate rooms-
with a little snack, they will both sit and wait for their treat. I always say the name of the dog getting the treat, "Sadie." And make it clear when I give her the treat. Storm will watch, licking her lips, knowing she's next. And vice versa
Thats good!

I would start intervening earlier, as soon as they show small signs, if they have bitten and broken skin. I normally let them give a small correction but if the other dog keeps doing it repeatedly I will start stepping in sooner, I do not let them near each others high value food at all. Its always better to intervene earlier then later more the one pushes the other the harder it is to fix the relationship
I'm already aware, this is something I've spoken to dog trainers about to get their opinion on, and it's something I've been working with, I've gotten Storm from being aggressive to people over her plush toys, dinner, etc, picking fights with the puppy she was with over those things- to being completely fine with people touching her food, or toys. And even bringing her things to us, wanting to play. With Sadie, she's now fine having toys with her, and they can eat in the same room (sort of two rooms attached but the door stays open, it's a big space) without issue.

In my view its okay for Storm to set a boundary with Sadie, though that's very rare. Usually its Sadie, the older dog, who will correct Storm when she's too excited etc. It just doesn't escalate into a fight, except I believe yesterday Sadie got too comfortable and reacted to Storms correction instead of backing off.
I never ignore them, theyre always supervised with food, and corrected/called away if they invade eachother space.

We're being careful, making sure that Sadie is keeping her distance, last night and this morning, and she did. She's been reminded. I just don't want their argument to cause a rift in their relationship. Storms been pretty sad, trying to gently and playfully interact with Sadie. But Sadie has so much trauma in her past, and it's brought her anxiety to the surface. Hence, a nice long walkies might help her

I'm already aware, this is something I've spoken to dog trainers about to get their opinion on, and it's something I've been working with, I've gotten Storm from being aggressive to people over her plush toys, dinner, etc, picking fights with the puppy she was with over those things- to being completely fine with people touching her food, or toys. And even bringing her things to us, wanting to play. With Sadie, she's now fine having toys with her, and they can eat in the same room (sort of two rooms attached but the door stays open, it's a big space) without issue.

In my view its okay for Storm to set a boundary with Sadie, though that's very rare. Usually its Sadie, the older dog, who will correct Storm when she's too excited etc. It just doesn't escalate into a fight, except I believe yesterday Sadie got too comfortable and reacted to Storms correction instead of backing off.
I never ignore them, theyre always supervised with food, and corrected/called away if they invade eachother space.

We're being careful, making sure that Sadie is keeping her distance, last night and this morning, and she did. She's been reminded. I just don't want their argument to cause a rift in their relationship. Storms been pretty sad, trying to gently and playfully interact with Sadie. But Sadie has so much trauma in her past, and it's brought her anxiety to the surface. Hence, a nice long walkies might help her
Thats great!Sorry if I have upset you, I was just giving you my opinions and info I have because I thought you where asking for more ideas and didn't know if you know it already

seconding!!!

speaking of animal problems, i was up until 1 am on poop watch for my bloated guinea pig. we were at over an hour of monitoring (and getting close to calling the emergency vet!) before she finally started pooping again! both girls were bloat-free this morning, thank goodness. knish is going to see the vet friday for bumblefoot, i'm going to ask about the chronic bloat as well.

Back
Top Bottom